BoatBanter.com

-   -   Used boats under 5 years old (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/104889-re-used-boats-under-5-years-old.html)

Richard Casady May 14th 09 01:41 PM

Used boats under 5 years old

On Fri, 25 Oct 2002 18:49:13 -0400,
wrote:

Here's a tip about fiberglass: Boats made in the 1960's and 70's were built
extremely heavy. Fiberglass technology was new, and no one really knew how thick
the glass needed to be to hold up.

Fiberglass was new in 1948.

Two of the neighbors at the lake had Rebel sailboats, and they were
heavy.

Casady

[email protected] May 15th 09 11:01 AM

Used boats under 5 years old

wrote:

Here's a tip about fiberglass: Boats made in the 1960's and 70's were built
extremely heavy. Fiberglass technology was new, and no one really knew how thick
the glass needed to be to hold up.

Fiberglass was new in 1948.

Two of the neighbors at the lake had Rebel sailboats, and they were
heavy.

Casady

It took you 7 years to come up with that gem?

Fiberglass was still new to production boat manufacturing in the
1960's. (Pearson Triton) Customers were not ready to trust that thin
biit of plastic to be a strong as a nice thick piece of wood. It
sounded like science fiction to them back then.

Jeff May 15th 09 12:45 PM

Used boats under 5 years old

wrote:

Here's a tip about fiberglass: Boats made in the 1960's and 70's were built
extremely heavy. Fiberglass technology was new, and no one really knew how thick
the glass needed to be to hold up.

Fiberglass was new in 1948.

Two of the neighbors at the lake had Rebel sailboats, and they were
heavy.

Casady

It took you 7 years to come up with that gem?

Fiberglass was still new to production boat manufacturing in the
1960's. (Pearson Triton) Customers were not ready to trust that thin
biit of plastic to be a strong as a nice thick piece of wood. It
sounded like science fiction to them back then.

This was also before GPS, or even affordable LORAN. It was a big day
when I installed my Heath depth sounder. That, and my portable Ray Jeff
RDF was all I had to keep me off the rocks in the fog. Even the charts
were expensive - usually the only on deck chart was from Texaco. Given
this, it was nice to know that the hull could take a few knocks. (Not
that I ever hif anything hard ...)

Capt. JG May 15th 09 07:09 PM

Used boats under 5 years old

wrote:

Here's a tip about fiberglass: Boats made in the 1960's and 70's were
built
extremely heavy. Fiberglass technology was new, and no one really knew
how thick
the glass needed to be to hold up.

Fiberglass was new in 1948.

Two of the neighbors at the lake had Rebel sailboats, and they were
heavy.

Casady

It took you 7 years to come up with that gem?

Fiberglass was still new to production boat manufacturing in the
1960's. (Pearson Triton) Customers were not ready to trust that thin
biit of plastic to be a strong as a nice thick piece of wood. It
sounded like science fiction to them back then.

My 1965 Cal 20 was way, way over-built by today's standards. Perfect for the
SF bay.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

KLC Lewis May 15th 09 08:05 PM

Used boats under 5 years old

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
easolutions...

My 1965 Cal 20 was way, way over-built by today's standards. Perfect for
the SF bay.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Ditto my Rawson 30. But as they say, "Nothing too strong ever broke."

--
KLC Lewis
www.KLCLewisStudios.com

Capt. JG May 15th 09 08:27 PM

Used boats under 5 years old

"KLC Lewis" wrote in message

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
easolutions...

My 1965 Cal 20 was way, way over-built by today's standards. Perfect for
the SF bay.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Ditto my Rawson 30. But as they say, "Nothing too strong ever broke."

--
KLC Lewis
www.KLCLewisStudios.com
www.cafepress.com/tmen
www.zazzle.com/klclewis
www.skreened.com/tmen

What year is the Rawson?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

KLC Lewis May 15th 09 08:44 PM

Used boats under 5 years old

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
"KLC Lewis" wrote in message

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
easolutions...

My 1965 Cal 20 was way, way over-built by today's standards. Perfect for
the SF bay.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Ditto my Rawson 30. But as they say, "Nothing too strong ever broke."

--
KLC Lewis
www.KLCLewisStudios.com
www.cafepress.com/tmen
www.zazzle.com/klclewis
www.skreened.com/tmen

What year is the Rawson?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

1963, even built in 'merica.

Martin[_4_] May 15th 09 10:36 PM

Used boats under 5 years old

wrote:

[...]

A chart? You had a chart! Dang all we had was the guy at the end of the
dock telling us to watch out for the rocks around the next point! And
it was uphill both ways, ,,, in the snow...

Cheers
Martin

[email protected] May 16th 09 02:19 AM

Used boats under 5 years old

Well My chrysler C-22 is much more the 5 yers old but in great shape.
It seems to be a good size for starting out. I'm sure at this time it
would be hard for me to get away from the shop for more then a few
weeks at any time, so even if getting there is half the fun I don't
see me getting to far if I drop it in at the coast. And GPS just
seems to make getting there easy.

I hope to have it in the water in a few weeks and sail/staying on it
every other weekend rain or shine.

Hey DS King is Jordon lake good for sailing? Is the places to keep a
boat? I'm less then an hour from there but also something called "
bugs island lake"

Mario
Want to be sailing

Edgar May 16th 09 10:23 AM

Used boats under 5 years old

wrote in message
What can you hit in Maine that isn't granite? LOL

Somebody's recently built yacht?