Default Diesels

Bruce in Bangkok wrote:
On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 15:30:21 -0700, Gordon wrote:

I picked up a used W40 for parts. It was in a Tartan 37 and when he
saw a light sheen of oil on the cooling fresh water, he decided to re
engine. No smoke, no water in the oil, smooth running. Installation of a
new Yanmar only cost him 18k!
The W40 came with a new panel, spare alternator, upper end gasket
kit, impellers, oil filters and a good spare injector. When I saw the
spare injector, I realized I didn't know how to test to replace the bad one.
What make/model of engine are we testing, anyways?? Doxfords wouldn't
use this kind of test:
http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...y=doxford&aq=f

If you are installing a used engine, and assuming it has a
conventional Bosh or CAV type fuel system, I would suggest that you
take off the injector pump and all the injectors and have them tested
and calibrated. My experience is that every time I have done this the
shop made some repairs to either the pump or the injectors - in other
words there was something wrong that wasn't noticeable by listening
to the engine run.

Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

I only got it as a parts engine. Mine still runs strong. Will still
have the used parts tested.
You You is offline

In article s.com,
"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote:

"Gordon" wrote in message
m...
How do you know when you have a bad injector and how do you figure out
which one it is?
Gordon

Remove the spark plug wire one cylinder at a time. The spark plug wire
removed on the cylinder with the bad injector will not cause an additional
miss.

Wilbur Hubbard

Jezze Louise, Wilbur, are you really this stupid? Spark Plugs on a
Diesel Engine? There actually IS one design that does have this
arrangement, but International Harvester hasn't built one in 50 years....
and when in Diesel Mode, the Spark Plugs are not used.....

You wrote:
In article s.com,
"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote:

"Gordon" wrote in message
m...
How do you know when you have a bad injector and how do you figure out
which one it is?
Gordon

Remove the spark plug wire one cylinder at a time. The spark plug wire
removed on the cylinder with the bad injector will not cause an additional
miss.

Wilbur Hubbard

Jezze Louise, Wilbur, are you really this stupid? Spark Plugs on a
Diesel Engine? There actually IS one design that does have this
arrangement, but International Harvester hasn't built one in 50 years....
and when in Diesel Mode, the Spark Plugs are not used.....

Ok Wilbur, I got the sparkplugs out of my Westerbeke diesel but I'll
be damned if I can set the gaps. Can you help me please?

"Gordon" wrote in message
m...

Ok Wilbur, I got the sparkplugs out of my Westerbeke diesel but I'll be
damned if I can set the gaps. Can you help me please?

The gap on Essie's diesel spark plug is about three feet. I keep the
sparkplug in a drawer in the cabin, and it apparently works by induction,
with no visible power source. I'm assuming it uses Zero Point energy.

--
KLC Lewis
www.cafepress.com/tmen

On Apr 26, 3:35*pm, You wrote:
In article s.com,
*"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote:

"Gordon" wrote in message
om...
* How do you know when you have a bad injector and how do you figure out
which one it is?
*Gordon

Remove the spark plug wire one cylinder at a time. The spark plug wire
removed on the cylinder with the bad injector will not cause an additional
miss.

Wilbur Hubbard

Jezze Louise, Wilbur, are you really this stupid? *Spark Plugs on a
Diesel Engine? *There actually IS one design that does have this
arrangement, but International Harvester hasn't built one in 50 years....
and when in Diesel Mode, the Spark Plugs are not used.....

My grandfather had one of those. It was actually a dual fuel engine.
Gas was used
to warm it up, after about 5 minutes you simultaneously shut off the
gas and
opened up the diesel flow, a two handed operation that took a bit of
practice.

About Yanmar diesels Eisboch General 9 March 20th 08 12:32 AM
FNM marine diesels TJ General 3 July 12th 07 10:24 AM
Peninsular Diesels MikeUSCP General 0 March 31st 07 02:28 PM
Cheap Diesels Brian Whatcott Boat Building 1 March 17th 04 12:23 AM
China Diesels P.C. Ford Boat Building 2 July 24th 03 08:09 PM