Brad

Default decent 2 way radios

HELP
This has likely been covered before.
I want to purchase some affordable 2 way radios so that I can leave 1
at the cottage, and take the other in the boat so we can communicate
effectively.
It'd be nice if they had noaa weather too, but not mandatory.

Tried 2 FRS (cobra and something else (can't remember)) that were
supposed to have 6 and 5 mile range respectively. They didn't work
beyond several hundred yards!!

Any suggestions on something you've used and worked would be most
helpful.

Thanks

Brad

krj

Depends on antennas and line of sight. A 25 watt with mast mounted
antenna (50'), and 25 watt at the house with a mast mounted antenna of
say 30' will give a line of sight distance of 14.68 nm. Should be able
to work 15-20 miles. Same as marine VHF.
krj

Doug Dotson wrote:
Not very good range unless there is a repeater around.

Doug, k3qt
s/v Callista

. ..

Brad wrote:

HELP
This has likely been covered before.
I want to purchase some affordable 2 way radios so that I can leave 1
at the cottage, and take the other in the boat so we can communicate
effectively.
It'd be nice if they had noaa weather too, but not mandatory.

Tried 2 FRS (cobra and something else (can't remember)) that were
supposed to have 6 and 5 mile range respectively. They didn't work
beyond several hundred yards!!

Any suggestions on something you've used and worked would be most
helpful.

Thanks

Brad

Doug Dotson

I've had very good luck with FRS. If yours aren't
good for more than a couple hundred yards then there
is something wrong with them. That is unless there are
major obstructions between the units. FRS is line
of sight.

Doug, k3qt
s/v CAllista

"Brad" wrote in message
m...
HELP
This has likely been covered before.
I want to purchase some affordable 2 way radios so that I can leave 1
at the cottage, and take the other in the boat so we can communicate
effectively.
It'd be nice if they had noaa weather too, but not mandatory.

Tried 2 FRS (cobra and something else (can't remember)) that were
supposed to have 6 and 5 mile range respectively. They didn't work
beyond several hundred yards!!

Any suggestions on something you've used and worked would be most
helpful.

Thanks

Brad

Rod McInnis

"Brad" wrote in message
m...

Tried 2 FRS (cobra and something else (can't remember)) that were
supposed to have 6 and 5 mile range respectively. They didn't work
beyond several hundred yards!!

I have a set of Motorola GMRS (the higher power, "5 mile" version of the
FRS) and I thought that they work great! I have reliably communicated over
10 miles, "flybridge to flybridge". I am sure that dinghy to dinghy would
be a lot less, but still a mile or two should be solid.

Any radio you get will basically have the same limitations. High frequency
(HF) communications ("CB" band) is very unpredictable. VHF communications
is essentially line of sight. With enough power you can get the signals to
bounce off large buildings and mountains which can substantially increase
the range but in a difficult to predict manner.

The best way to increase the range is to increase the "line of sight"
distance, which usually means elevation. A handheld radio has its antenna
right in your hand. They have low power and no "gain" in the antenna. A
fixed mount radio will allow the use of an antenna that you can a) get
outside to eliminate attenuation of walls b) get it higher so it can "see"
farther, and c) have "gain" so that you get more signal going where you need
it.

The problem is that there are very few legal options for a fixed station
radio. A marine VHF radio is fine in the boat but not legal in your cottage
unless you have a special license. I am not aware of a base station FRS
radio. Amateur radio would be great, but you need the license.

Rod