Default Anyone have "Local Knowledge" of Bermuda

We're planning a trip to Bermuda (from NC) in early summer. This will
be our first voyage out there, so Bermuda solidly classifies as an
unfamiliar landfall.

We're trying to connect with friends and family who will be flying
in. There's not enough room onboard for all of us, so I'm looking for
cheap (but not flea-bag) shoreside lodging near an anchorage in
Bermuda. (Right now, it's looking like, after checking in at St.
George, we'd push on to Hamilton, where the opportunities for lodging
appear to be greater).

I'm also looking for tips on:
o Travel while on the island (mopeds? bicycles? taxis-only?)
o Where best to reprovision -- i.e. food, fuel, water
o Where to pump out
o Where to repair (in case something breaks along the way)
o Great SCUBA companies -- we would like to do some snorkeling/scuba
while there
o Things to do, places to see
o Anything else a cruiser would need to know.

Has anyone on this group done something similar relatively recently,
who would share this type of information?

Note 1: I have already received and read Bermuda Dept. of Tourism's
"Bermuda" guide, which describes entry procedures, general anchorage,
VHF stations, and so forth. It's an excellent publication, with tons
of information concisely formatted. So, that's not the sort of stuff
I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance!
Adrian in NC
s/v "Canto"

wrote:
... I'm looking for
cheap (but not flea-bag) shoreside lodging near an anchorage in
Bermuda. (Right now, it's looking like, after checking in at St.
George, we'd push on to Hamilton, where the opportunities for lodging
appear to be greater).

Each year many yachts race and cruise to Bermuda, and it usually happens
that there is strong competition for the facilities of the type you are
seeking. Essentially there is no "cheap" in Bermuda. The sailing season to
Bermuda coincides with the tourist season, so you will encounter high season
prices. However it may be that the sluggish economy will affect Bermuda as
it seems to have done other areas. I have made quite a few passages to
Bermuda from the US East Coast, 3 in my own boat and others as crew. My
most recent visit was Summer 2008 for just about 2 months.

As for "near an anchorage," there are many more locations in Bermuda other
than the usual suspects: St. George's and Hamilton. St. George's is
interesting and crowded, and definitely a place to visit, but you will have
to put up with the "mob" atmosphere associated with the new high speed
ferries that run all day. There are, however, waterfront hotels that have
associated mooring facilities ( I have no direct experience with these).
There are also quite a few low key guest accommodations off the beaten path,
but none are "budget." In Hamilton, you will probably have to choose
between the RBYC and the Dinghy Club for moorage. There are other
"freelance" options, but getting ashore to link up with others is not simple
unless you are associated with one or the facilities. Another idea is Salt
Kettle on the southern side of Hamilton Harbor. I know folks who used this
setup in a manner similar to what you have in mind, but I have never tried
to hotels in that area myself. In all of these cases, this is the deluxe
version of Bermuda and there are probably few if any bargains.

I have visited just about every harbor and cove in Bermuda over the years,
and once away from St. Georges and Hamilton, I am almost always the only US
flagged vessel. I particularly like the West End and Somerset, and you
might look into the Mangrove Bay area for starters. Relatively low key and
very cordial, with just about everything you might want and a convenient
ferry stop to Hamilton, St. Georges, etc. I have never encountered another
"Yank" here. Another place that might meet your needs is Grotto Bay. The
hotel itself is quite nice if a little out of the way, and there is a
convenient anchorage just off the little beach. We were very surprised when
we visited by boat, and we thought this would make a good spot when staying
ashore. I would look at this possibility closely.

I'm also looking for tips on:
o Travel while on the island (mopeds? bicycles? taxis-only?)

Mopeds and taxis, but don't overlook the great ferry system and public
transit. We avoid taxis in general, and usually rent a cycle for only one
day. The ferries would allow your shoreside visitors to get a good idea of
the scene on the water without the associated complexity of using your own
boat.

o Where best to reprovision -- i.e. food, fuel, water

There is no "best" and you will pay 300% of US prices in many cases. You
can get provisions, fuel, water, etc, just about everywhere. I like the
market in St. Georges, but the facilities in Hamilton are also good. In
Hamilton there is a very fancy setup where you can actually tie alongside
for fuel, water, provisions, liquor, etc. This is a luxury spot however and
there's no getting around the high cost.

o Where to pump out

Check with officials when you check in at Ordnance Island. Avoid any chance
of infractions because enforcement is strict.

o Where to repair (in case something breaks along the way)

There are first rate facilities at St. Georges, Hamilton, and Dockyard.
Just about anything you will need, including machinery, sails, canvas,
hauling, rigging, etc.

Note 1: I have already received and read Bermuda Dept. of Tourism's
"Bermuda" guide, which describes entry procedures, general anchorage,
VHF stations, and so forth. It's an excellent publication, with tons
of information concisely formatted. So, that's not the sort of stuff
I'm looking for.

Look for a copy of "Yachtsman's Guide to Bermuda." It's out of print but
you could get lucky. The first $10,000 gets my own personal copy (smile).

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat

wrote in news:ba10e4bb-f135-459c-8f6b-72b3f9b2bfa6
@k2g2000yql.googlegroups.com:

[...]

While I won't provide you with specific information regarding your
questions, you can find many of the answers at my web site, which has
detailed logs and photos of much of the Bahamas.

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 05:52:15 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

We're trying to connect with friends and family who will be flying
in. There's not enough room onboard for all of us, so I'm looking for
cheap (but not flea-bag) shoreside lodging near an anchorage in
Bermuda.

As others have pointed out, "cheap" and "Bermuda" do not usually
appear in the same sentence. The only hotel that I'm aware of close
to the water is the Hamilton Princess. It is less than a 5 minute
walk from there to the RBYC. Both the RBYC and RHDC offer tie ups to
visiting yachts but the RBYC is right in downtown Hamilton and much
more convenient as a result. You may be able to find less expensive
lodging at a B & B outside of town but they will not be as convenient
as the Princess. I have stayed 5 times at Sky Top Cottages about 2
miles out on South Road and have always enjoyed it.

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-hotel-3700...top_cottages-i

There are absolutely no rental cars available to tourists, only
mopeds. Driving is on the left which takes a lot of getting used to,
especially if you are riding a moped for the first time. There are
many, many moped accidents and you will be treated harshly if alcohol
is involved. A night or two in the pokey and $1,000 fine would not
be unusual.

There are two restaurants close to the water in Hamilton that I
recommend. The first is Little Venice at 32 Bermudiana Road close to
the Princess Hotel, and the other is the Hog Penny at 5 Burnaby Hill,
very close to the cruise ship dock. Most of the restaurants on Front
Street are marginal tourist traps in my experience.

Rosalie B. wrote:

o Where best to reprovision -- i.e. food, fuel, water
o Where to pump out

I saw Dowling's Shell Station in St. George in 2004 which was right by
the cruise ship dock had a sign which said "Marine & Auto". But what
really attracted my attention was the dinghy in the garage bay.

As we walked across the road, we saw a big sailboat with dark blue
topsides getting fuel, and apparently this place is one where you take
on fuel and water before leaving Bermuda. Their site says they sell
Diesel, Oil, Water, Ice Cubes, Moped Gas, Auto Gas and Fishing
Supplies. 1 Penno’s Dr tel: 297 - 1914

When I looked up Dowlings on the internet, I got this list

• Bunkering

There are two bulk suppliers of fuel in Bermuda:

Esso Bermuda, tel (441) 297-1477. Its bunkering facility is
located on the North Shore west of St. George’s and is not suitable
for most yachts unless extremely large.

Shell Company of Bermuda, tel (441) 297-1577. Its bunkering
facility at the Ireland Island Freeport at the western end of the
island is accessible by all vessels in any weather.

Arrangements can be made with Esso and Shell to supply fuel at
dockside at extra cost for trucking. Duty free delivery by Tank Truck
is possible under certain conditions.

Smaller quantities of fuel (diesel or petrol) are conveniently
available at the following waterfront marinas (Bermuda area code is
441):

Boaz Island Marine & Services, tel 234-0128
Dowling’s Shell Marine Station, tel 297-1914
East Broadway Marine, tel 296-0642
Dockyard Marina, 234-0300
PW’s Marine Centre, tel 295-3232
Riddells Bay Marina, tel 238-8419
Robinson’s Shell Marine Station, tel 234-0709
St. George’s Boatyard, tel 297-0877
Van Buren’s Marine Station, tel 292-2882
St. David’s Esso Marine, tel 297-1996

• Water

Supplies of fresh water may be obtained at dockside from water
truckers (consult Yellow Pages of the Bermuda Telephone Directory), or
through the club or marina where berthed. If bunkering at Esso or
Shell installations, fresh water may be obtained at the same time.
Obtaining water by barge while at anchor is difficult and expensive.

• Sewage and Trash Disposal

All yachts should be fitted with either holding tanks to contain
sewage for discharge in waters outside the 12 mile territorial limit
or, have U.S. Coast Guard approved marine sanitation devices type 1 or
2 in accordance with current U.S. Coast Guard Requirements. However,
wherever possible onshore sanitation facilities should be utilized.
SEWAGE DISPOSAL IN ALL INSHORE WATERS IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED,
especially in St. George's and Hamilton Harbours and at the marina
basin at Dockyard.

Arrangements for trash pickup may be made through Mrs. Nancy
Hooper at the Corporation of St. George’s, tel (441) 297-1532, Mrs.
Rosmary Morabito at the Corporation of Hamilton, tel (441) 292-1234,
or through the marina or club where thbe vessel is berthed.

• Ship's Chandlers

There are no ships chandlers in the true sense in Bermuda.
However, there is a sail loft company (see "Sail Makers and Repairs"),
and a number of supermarkets located throughout Bermuda. Supermarkets
best suited to supplying yachts a

A-One Fine Food Markets — Paget, tel (441) 236-0351 and Smith’s,
tel (441) 236-6673
MarketPlace Supermarkets, tel (441) 292-3163
Miles Market, tel (441) 295-1234
Somers Supermart, tel (441) 297-1177
Supermart, tel (441) 292-2064

If large supplies of fresh, frozen or tinned goods are required,
it is advisable to place an order well before departure.

• Marine Accessories

Captain Smoke's Marina, tel (441) 297 1940
Dowling’s Garage Marine & Auto Service, tel (441) 297-1914
Godet & Young Ltd, tel (441) 297-1940
The Marine Locker (Harken distributor and Racor fuel), tel (441)
295-9950
Meyer Marine Services, tel (441) 297-8078
Ocean Sails/Doyle, tel (441) 297-1008
PW’s Marine Centre, tel (441) 295-3232
Riddells Bay Marina, tel (441) 238-8419
Robinson’s Shell Marine Station, tel (441) 234-0709
St. George’s Boatyard, tel (441) 297-0877
Triangle Rigging, tel (441) 297-2155
West End Yachts, tel (441) 234-1303

You may already have this information, but this is what I found.

o Where to repair (in case something breaks along the way)

My cousin spend some time in Bermuda on a broken boat. The first time
they were there because the engine was burning oil - after they left
something else broke and they had to go back. This time it was the
steering which the components of which had to be ordered from France.
It was installed backwards, so it broke on their way down to the
Virgin Islands.

Boat Repairs, Haulage and Slipping Facilities

There are a number of boat repair establishments in Bermuda,
some of which also have facilities for slipping yachts of various
sizes. Harbour Radio may be contacted for assistance in making
arrangements for emergency repairs. Boatyards with slipping facilities
include (Bermuda area code is 441):

Ballast Point Boatyard, tel 297-1909
Meyer Marine Services, tel 297-8078 - largest cradle on the
Island, accommodating yachts up to 200 feet.
Mills Creek Marine, tel 292-6094
North Basin Yachts, tel 234-1303
Offshore Yachting & Maintenance, tel 236-9464
Riddell's Bay Marina, tel 238-8491
Robinson’s Shell Marine Station, tel 234-0709
St. George’s Boatyard, tel 297-0877

• Full shipwright facility:

Mills Creek Marine (a division of Darrell’s Marine Ltd.), tel
292-6094. Includes a travel lift for yachts up to 65’ in length and a
35 ton lifting capacity. Specializing in spray painting and fibre
glass repairs to all fabrics.

Fabrication and Engineering:
Meyer Steel & Fabrication, tel 297-8078 - includes aluminium
mast repair.

• Quicksilver Inflatables

PW's Marine Centre, tel (441) 295-3232 -- Agent for Quicksilver

• Refrigeration

Bermuda Auto-Marine Electric, tel (441) 234-8548 -- Agents for
Marine Air and Grunert. Air-conditioning and refrigeration parts.

• Rigging

Triangle Rigging (rigging shop and mariine repairs), tel (441)
297-2155

• Sail Makers and Repairs

Repairs: Dockyard Canvas Co., tel (441) 234-2678, includes
marine canvas and upholstery and sail repairs
Sail maker: Ocean Sails/Doyle, tel (441) 297-1008, Website -
www.oceansails.com
E-mail - bdasailsaibl.bm - Bermueda's only full service sail
loft, canvas and upholstery shop. Internet and fax services.

• Engine Repair (Inboard)

Meyer Marine Services (Caterpillar, Volvo Penta, Detroit Diesel,
Lister Peter), tel (441) 297-8078

• Engine Repair (Outboard)

Bermuda Marine Supply & Services Ltd. (Evinrude), tel (441)
295-7901
West End Yachts (all engines), tel (441) 234-1303
PW’s Marine Centre (Johnson and Mercury), tel (441) 295-3232
Riddell's Bay Marina, (all engines), tel (441) 238-8491

Again - have not used these companies - this is just what I found on
the internet.

o Great SCUBA companies -- we would like to do some snorkeling/scuba
while there

We have been to Bermuda four times - twice by plane (July 1963 and
Thanksgiving 1995) and twice by cruise ship (Nov 2004 and Oct 2007).
Except for the first time in 1963, we have always been there in late
fall when it was really too cold to scuba without a wet suit. So I
know there are scuba places, but have not tried any of them myself.
Most hotels have a connection with a scuba shop.

o Things to do, places to see

More on this later - lots of things and places.

o Anything else a cruiser would need to know.

Do not try to ride the buses if you are under-dressed. Swim suits
are not considered to be appropriate for riding the bus. Also short
shorts are frowned upon in church although correctly worn Bermuda
shorts are of course OK. Bermuda is more formal. Also Bermudans do
not like it when visitors clog up the bus system during the rush hour
when they are trying to get to work.

Eating is expensive in Bermuda, and when we stayed in a hotel (Nov
1995), we had the modified American plan, and just ate lunch out. We
would go to a bakery in the a.m. and get something for lunch. In the
hotel it might be of importance to know that you will pay extra for
sodas or iced tea. Anything with ice in it is considered a 'drink'
which is not included in the meal. Hot tea is - iced tea is not.

Has anyone on this group done something similar relatively recently,
who would share this type of information?

I think the person who shared his dock with my friends was someone on
one of the email lists, like the live-aboard list. I do not remember
who it was, but my friends paid him for his slip. They were out at
Kings Wharf, but in the summer there is a ferry to St. George.

Note 1: I have already received and read Bermuda Dept. of Tourism's
"Bermuda" guide, which describes entry procedures, general anchorage,
VHF stations, and so forth. It's an excellent publication, with tons
of information concisely formatted. So, that's not the sort of stuff
I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance!
Adrian in NC
s/v "Canto"

Wow. I am very thankful for all the information. I haven't gone
through it all yet, and from the looks of it, it will take some time
to get through it all. But just browsing it -- it looks awesome.
Thank you!

o Things to do, places to see

This is a big topic. And I tend to prefer things that are free or low
cost.

The first thing to buy is a bus pass - unlimited number of journeys
for all Zones, and are honored on buses and ferries.
For adults
1-day $12.00
2-day $20.00
3-day $28.00
4-day $35.00
7-day $45.00

Depending on where you come in depends on where you get the bus pass.
Buses will not take pax with luggage, so your friends will have to get
a taxi to their hotel from the airport.

St. George - Fodor's has a 2 hour walking tour (not counting going
into buildings) on any day except Sunday (when some things are closed)
might include
1. King's Square with a replica of a pillory and stocks (free -
photo-op)
2. Ordnance Island with the Deliverance, a replica of the vessel that
carried the shipwrecked Sea Venture passengers on to Virginia. (fee)
I've never gone onto the Deliverance.
3. White Horse Tavern
4. Town Hall which has antique cedar furnishings and a collection of
photographs of previous lord mayors. Bermuda Journey, a multimedia
audiovisual presentation about the shipwreck of the Sea Venture [on
which Shakespeare's "Tempest" is based], is shown here several times a
day. (free)
5. Bridge House which was once the home of several governors of
Bermuda.
6. Old State House - the oldest stone building in Bermuda, dating from
1620, and was once the home of the Bermuda Parliament. It's the site
of the ancient Peppercorn Ceremony, in which the Old State House pays
the government a "rent" of one peppercorn annually.
7. Somers Garden -The heart of Sir George Somers, the admiral of the
Sea Venture, is buried here. (free) His body is buried in England.
8. St. George's Historical Society Museum. There is a fee for this
but I really recommend it as it was built by shipwrights and I found
the construction details most interesting.
9. Featherbed Alley Printery. I've never
10. St. Peter's Church The present church was built in 1713, with a
tower added in 1814. You can wander around the church and graveyard
for free.
11. Bermuda National Trust Museum (never managed to get here in time
to take the tour)
12. Carriage Museum (was free in 1995 but I don't know about now)
Some pictures and more information here
http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/5d8a3/#TL
http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/5d8aa/#TL

There is also a walking tour of Hamilton (which confusingly is not in
Hamilton Parish, but in Pembroke Parish)

The tour includes
*Bank of Bermuda--You can visit the bank Monday to Friday from 9:30am
to 3pm. On the mezzanine is Bermuda's most extensive coin collection.
I haven't been there.
*Par-la-Ville Park--This was once a private garden attached to the
town house of William B. Perot, (Free)
*Bermuda Historical Society Museum--This museum, at 13 Queen St., is
also the Bermuda Library.(free)
* Perot Post Office -William Perot ran this post office from 1818 to
1862. and it is still a regular post office (free)
* Hamilton City Hall, which also includes the National Gallery. The
National Gallery has a small fee - I haven't been inside the City
Hall.
* Victoria Park- free (they have concerts here in the summer)
* St. Theresa's Roman Catholic church (free)
* Bermuda Cathedral also known as the Cathedral of the Most Holy
Trinity (free and a landmark that you can see from all over)
* The Sessions House (Parliament Building) Cabinet Building and
Cenotaph to the war dead (all free)
* Fort Hamilton (which I have never had time to visit.

There is or was also a thing called a Heritage Pass which allows
admission to Bermuda's top eight cultural attractions for one low
price. $25 for adults and $15.00 for children 6-16 years of age."

[Note: some places say the ticket is $35, but we only paid $25 in
November 2004]

The Heritage Passport allows unlimited admission for 7 consecutive
days to the Bermuda Maritime Museum, Bermuda National Gallery , and
Bermuda National Trust Verdmont Historic House Museum open Tues-Sat,
10am-4pm; featuring the Globe Hotel and Tucker House Museum, Bermuda
Underwater Exploration Institute, Bermuda Aquarium Museum & Zoo, and
Fort St. Catherine

Whether this is a good deal for you depends on how many of the more
expensive places you will visit. If you are interested in historic
houses Verdmont, the Globe Hotel and Tucker House can be visited on
another type of pass.

Of these attractions, I think you might be interested in the Maritime
Museum in Kings Wharf - Sandys Parish. This used to be the Royal
Naval Dockyard which was once the largest naval base in the Western
Atlantic. It is quite interesting if you can ignore the dolphin pens
which are an abomination (MHO). It includes
1. Queens Exhibition Hall
2. The Shifting House
3. Bermuda Monetary Authority
4. Shell House
5. Forster Cooper Building
6. The Boatloft & Children's Room
8. The Dainty Exhibit
9. Artifact Conservation Laboratory
10. Jack Davis student residence
11. The Commissioners House
12. High Cave and magazine
The Commissioner's house was built of iron and sent out from England -
inside is a wonderful big dollhouse with the furniture carved out of
Bermuda Cedar. Also wonderful views over the area.

I love the BAMZ (Bermuda Aquarium Museum and Zoo) which is in Flatts.
Some people don't think much of it, but I like it. It explains a lot
of the local customs and shows a lot of the local flora and fauna.

The Bermuda Underwater Exploration Institute is outside of Hamilton,
and has a big collection of shells among other things. I thought it
was a little overpriced and somewhat disjointed.

FREE attractions include the Botanical Garden which has a free guided
tours on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays from the Car Park outside
the Visitors Service Centre. On the grounds is historic 'Camden',
the official residence of the Premier.

Gates Fort out past St. George is FREE.

There is a hiking trail that goes the whole length of Bermuda (except
the bridge to the airport) and is free. This is on the old railroad
route - there is a little museum in one of the old stations (which is
about the size of a garage) which is also free, although most of it is
taken up by the antiques and used items that she has for sale. This
is near the BAMZ.
http://www.bermuda-online.org/railway.htm

The smallest drawbridge in the world is out at Sandys Parish and is
also free.

Spittal Pond (South Road, Smith’s Parish) has a 1 pm Friday tour which
is very low cost and quite interesting.

There are caves (which I have not been to), and Fort St. Catherine
(admission fee for both)

I think there are also perfume and glass factories.

If you want to buy stuff, the best place is out at King Wharf in the
Cooperage where they have things that are made on Bermuda. Otherwise
the best buys are thing imported from the British Isles.

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 10:41:15 -0400, "Armond Perretta"
wrote:

Look for a copy of "Yachtsman's Guide to Bermuda." It's out of print but
you could get lucky. The first $10,000 gets my own personal copy (smile).

Just bought one used on Amazon for $15, a saving of $9,985. :-)

Nice description on your web site of your sails to Bermuda. That's
quite an adventure on a 28 footer. I've raced there 6 times but on
bigger boats, and with full crews. My first two races were in 1986
and 1988, both before GPS. It's almost unbelievable how far
navigation technology has progressed since then.

Rosalie B. wrote in
:

Boat Repairs, Haulage and Slipping Facilities

Can Y'all just smell the money changing hands in large amounts?.....(c;]

"Trapped in Bermuda"....make a great movie.

Rosalie B. wrote in
:

Geoff Schultz wrote:

wrote in news:ba10e4bb-f135-459c-8f6b-72b3f9b2bfa6
:

We're planning a trip to Bermuda (from NC) in early summer. This will
be our first voyage out there, so Bermuda solidly classifies as an
unfamiliar landfall.

While I won't provide you with specific information regarding your
questions, you can find many of the answers at my web site, which has
detailed logs and photos of much of the Bahamas.

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org

Even though they both begin with the letter B and are in the Atlantic,
the Bahamas are not the same as Bermuda.

Ah, you're right! :-) Despite having stopped there, I didn't write any
logs and my camera was dead...Never mind!

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org