Default Suncor swageless

Has anyone here seen Suncor quick attach fittings used for standing rigging?

On Apr 1, 10:12*am, "Ernest Scribbler"
wrote:
Has anyone here seen Suncor quick attach fittings used for standing rigging?

I did my entire rig about 5 years ago. I went up 1 size in the wire
and did all the stays. It went ease and is very durable. We got
caught in 50 + winds and full sails and the only thing that happened
is a ripped main, the rigging was perfect. It is very easy to work
with and you don't have to unwrap the twist to use the fitting, I
thought this was a much better solution.

Joel

wrote
Has anyone here seen Suncor quick attach
fittings used for standing rigging?

I did my entire rig about 5 years ago.

Cool. What kinda boat?

The reason I started the thread is I've noticed that several catalogs,
Defender for example, only list the Suncors with lifelines, as if to say
they're okay for that but for standing rigging you need Hayn or Stalok or
whatever.

On Thu, 2 Apr 2009 09:36:18 -0400, "Ernest Scribbler"
wrote:

wrote
Has anyone here seen Suncor quick attach
fittings used for standing rigging?

I did my entire rig about 5 years ago.

Cool. What kinda boat?

The reason I started the thread is I've noticed that several catalogs,
Defender for example, only list the Suncors with lifelines, as if to say
they're okay for that but for standing rigging you need Hayn or Stalok or
whatever.

The Suncor web site states that the terminals are rated at 90% of
cable strength. Generally, the aim is to build the stay/shroud with
100% of cable strength, or as close as possible.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

On Fri, 03 Apr 2009 06:53:45 +0700, Bruce In Bangkok
wrote:

On Thu, 2 Apr 2009 09:36:18 -0400, "Ernest Scribbler"
wrote:

wrote
Has anyone here seen Suncor quick attach
fittings used for standing rigging?

I did my entire rig about 5 years ago.

Cool. What kinda boat?

The reason I started the thread is I've noticed that several catalogs,
Defender for example, only list the Suncors with lifelines, as if to say
they're okay for that but for standing rigging you need Hayn or Stalok or
whatever.

The Suncor web site states that the terminals are rated at 90% of
cable strength. Generally, the aim is to build the stay/shroud with
100% of cable strength, or as close as possible.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Good Old Boat magazine tested the Suncor swageless terminals against
Sta-lok, Norseman and a professionally swaged terminal. The Norseman
failed so badly (69% of cable load rating) that Norseman was permitted
to then provide a sample prepared by the company for a second test,
which it also failed at 80%. The Suncor Swageless surpassed the
professionally swaged terminal and the Sta-lok, although those three
all exceeded the cable's load rating.

http://www.bosunsupplies.com/goodoldboatquickattach.cfm

wrote
Good Old Boat magazine tested the Suncor swageless terminals

I've seen that, but I was hoping some new information might have surfaced
somewhere since 2000.

wrote:

Good Old Boat magazine tested the Suncor swageless terminals against
Sta-lok, Norseman and a professionally swaged terminal. The Norseman
failed so badly (69% of cable load rating) that Norseman was permitted
to then provide a sample prepared by the company for a second test,
which it also failed at 80%. The Suncor Swageless surpassed the
professionally swaged terminal and the Sta-lok, although those three
all exceeded the cable's load rating.

http://www.bosunsupplies.com/goodoldboatquickattach.cfm

This pointer to cable terminal tests really got me going, 'til I thought
about it - then when the realization that the terminals were being rated
stronger than the cable's rated load not its breaking stress, I twigged.

If a maker puts a 1.5 design factor on his cable, and
a terminal gives way at 105% of the rated stress, this means the
terminal gives way at 105/150 of the ACTUAL breaking stress -
that's a 70% strength comparison. And the Norseman terminals that gave
way at 70% of rated strength were giving way at 70/150 of ultimate or
47% of ultimate strength.

Brian W