Default OT but very useful...

http://www.thetornado.com/backup_files.asp

I was rummaging through Staples store last night looking for a cable when I
stumbled upon this gadget they are dumping for $20, so I bought one.

This is a really neat device that VERY rapidly will copy files between two
Windows PCs by simply plugging the self-retracting cords between their USB
ports. Inside the device, a little computer tells the PCs to run a file
manager program built right into the device. Once it boots, all you do is
drag and drop files or whole directories of files or groups of files from
one computer's file list to the other on the Tornado file manager....it's
that easy!

A 700MB DivX movie takes about half a minute to copy if you have USB 2.0
ports on both machine. That's REALLY quite fast.

The other nice thing is you don't have to set the PCs for file sharing
exposing the files to any other machines. This is local-only control
separate from any network. It's the perfect way to load up your laptop
with music/movies/stuff from your home computer to carry to the boat.

Because the software doesn't install into Windows, it leaves no residue
files on any PC it's used on. The software only runs when the device is
plugged in. So, you can take your laptop and the Tornado to someone else's
computer and swap files with them without trashing their system in the
least bit. Need to swap files with the computer at the office...just plug
it in to your laptop and the office computer. Because the computers are
separated by the Tornado's computer in the device, there's no automatic
movement of virus/trojan bad guys between them. Only files YOU choose in
either computer's Tornado file manager are copied. Windows has no
automatic control of moving files through the Tornado...no funny business.

Check your Staples store to see if they're dumping it....$20 is cheap!

On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 18:08:11 +0000, Larry wrote:

This is a really neat device that VERY rapidly will copy files between two
Windows PCs by simply plugging the self-retracting cords between their USB
ports. Inside the device, a little computer tells the PCs to run a file
manager program built right into the device. Once it boots, all you do is
drag and drop files or whole directories of files or groups of files from
one computer's file list to the other on the Tornado file manager....it's
that easy!

For the price of a $4 ethernet crossover cable you can do the same
thing at 100 mb/sec.

Wayne.B wrote in
news
On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 18:08:11 +0000, Larry wrote:

This is a really neat device that VERY rapidly will copy files between
two Windows PCs by simply plugging the self-retracting cords between
their USB ports. Inside the device, a little computer tells the PCs
to run a file manager program built right into the device. Once it
boots, all you do is drag and drop files or whole directories of files
or groups of files from one computer's file list to the other on the
Tornado file manager....it's that easy!

For the price of a $4 ethernet crossover cable you can do the same
thing at 100 mb/sec.

Just plug it in like an old serial port?

Hmm...I thought it would take setting up for shared files, not just plug 'n
pray....

How do you get computer 1 to treat computer 2 like it's own disk drive with
that cable??

Larry wrote:
Wayne.B wrote in
news
On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 18:08:11 +0000, Larry wrote:

This is a really neat device that VERY rapidly will copy files between
two Windows PCs by simply plugging the self-retracting cords between
their USB ports. Inside the device, a little computer tells the PCs
to run a file manager program built right into the device. Once it
boots, all you do is drag and drop files or whole directories of files
or groups of files from one computer's file list to the other on the
Tornado file manager....it's that easy!

For the price of a $4 ethernet crossover cable you can do the same
thing at 100 mb/sec.

Just plug it in like an old serial port?

Hmm...I thought it would take setting up for shared files, not just plug 'n
pray....

How do you get computer 1 to treat computer 2 like it's own disk drive with
that cable??

You don't. You need to set up shares on both computers and then treat
each like a node on a LAN.

slide wrote in
:

Larry wrote:
Wayne.B wrote in
news
[...]

And file sharing has been hacked into again and again....

File sharing should NEVER be setup to share the whole drive...exactly
what this device does in complete safety without all that networking
setup monstrosity nonsense. You simply plug it in and the Tornado file
managers boot on both machines. You can use either one as they are all
bi-directional between them. it simply makes it so easy....

Vic Smith wrote in
:

On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 18:08:11 +0000, Larry wrote:

http://www.thetornado.com/backup_files.asp

I was rummaging through Staples store last night looking for a cable
when I stumbled upon this gadget they are dumping for $20, so I bought
one.

Flash drives are getting pretty cheap. Do you know about them?
My kid has one on his key chain, and sometimes we exchange data.
Think it's 4gb, but they're up to at least 64gb now.
He got it for 5 bucks or it was a free promo, can't remember.
He has a few of them.
It's a slower transfer since you have 2 read/write cycles, but also
more flexible because you don't need the computers in proximity.
I'd go that way for non-networked data transfers, or get an external
USB hard drive. He has some of them too.
The speed issue is easily fixed by not using a stop-watch.
Or getting a beer while the data moves.
Computers are like kitchens - always another gadget.
You sound like a real shopper, Larry.
Used to do that myself. Until I saw how much junk I had laying
around.

--Vic

The house is full of my "stuff"....piled all over...(c;]

It keeps me from being married again....a real benefit.

Tornado moves files 6 times faster than writing to a flash drive. If
you consider you have to copy it from the flash drive to the other
computer after you flash it, that's 12 times as fast....a real time
saver!

Flash drives and SD cards are awfully slow to write to. They read much
better than they write.

Larry wrote in news:Xns9BCEE60F8D17Bnoonehomecom@
74.209.131.13:

You don't. You need to set up shares on both computers and then treat
each like a node on a LAN.

What's great about usenet is all the heat you get from the simplest of
pointing something neat out to the masses....

One word can start a flamewar that goes on, ad nauseum, for months, even
years!

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 02:36:57 +0000, Larry wrote:

And file sharing has been hacked into again and again....

File sharing should NEVER be setup to share the whole drive...exactly
what this device does in complete safety without all that networking
setup monstrosity nonsense.

You don't share the entire drive, just one directory (but you know
that). The setup is extremely simple for anyone who understands the
first thing about networking.

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 02:39:43 +0000, Larry wrote:

Tornado moves files 6 times faster than writing to a flash drive. If
you consider you have to copy it from the flash drive to the other
computer after you flash it, that's 12 times as fast....a real time
saver!

That's perfectly good beer drinking time you're trying to eliminate.
Think long and hard about what you're doing there.
A couple beers while cogitating will keep you from thinking too
straight, and get you out of the time box.
If you don't drink beer, just read a book.
But not one titled "Paradigms of Disk Read/Write and Data Transfer
Speed (and Implications for Video Transfers) "
Maybe something by Henry James, so you can sleep while the stuff is
moving.

--Vic