Parallax

Default Bahamas by jetski

A friend of mine just completed a trip to and from the bahamas by
jetski (Tigershark or whatever). He went from lauderdale to West End
and then to Green Turtle (15 hours) one saturday and then back the
next weekend. Is this a crazy thing to do?
OpalCat

Is that one of the kind that you stand on or the kind you sit on?
Sounds crazy as heck but what a story for the grandchildren, no? It is
a good thing there are brave, adventurous people in the world. (Like
that guy who became the first private citizen to leave the
atmosphere--how cool was that?)

I've only ridden a jetski a few times, and they were the kind you sit
on like a motorcycle. Did that down in Florida a few times and loved
it. Unfortunately for me, I grew up in the middle of the desert
without much opportunity to play with such toys.

When you say 15 hours, does that mean the jetski was actually running
for 15 straight hours? Do they have that much fuel?

(Parallax) wrote in message . com...
A friend of mine just completed a trip to and from the bahamas by
jetski (Tigershark or whatever).

^,,^ OpalCat

http://www.opalcat.com
Parallax

(OpalCat) wrote in message . com...
[...]

These were the "sit-on" variety and were quite large. At least one
had space enough for three ppl and a 70 hp four stroke engine. The
other was smaller and had a two stroke engine. They carried 8 extra
containers of gas (I estimate 32 gallons of gas extra). They refueled
by standing up with the gas can and screwing a fitting onto the can
feeding clear flex tubing going into afitting on the gas cap so they
didnt get waves sloshing into the fuel. The two stroke used most of
the fuel. They carried two VHF, GPS, strobes but oddly no EPIRB.
Average speed across the Gulf stream was 8 kts due to waves. They
stopped at West End briefly, then on to Great Sale then spent the
night somehwere near Whale Cay. On the way from Lauderdale to West
End, they saw no other vessels (they left at 7:30 am). On the way
back, they travelled in company with a 34' trawler. On the way back,
my friend had his 18 yr old daughter riding with him.
Larry W4CSC

Last weekend, in Moncks Corner, SC, on Lake Moultrie, one jetskiier was
killed instantly by a direct lightning hit. His girlfriend was still
hospitalized, today, by the near hit on her jetski. One of our popup
thunderstorms simply rolled over the lake before they could get to the
dock. Very sad.....

Larry

Here's the news article:

http://charleston.net/stories/070104...1weather.shtml