Sandra

Default Intra-coastal waterway navigation

Recently visited the Keys via boat. While navigating the Intra-coastal
I notice that the green-red channel markers were backwards from all my
other boating experience(inland). Does anyone know the logic behind
this or can tell me where I went wrong in my thinking?

Scott

LaBomba182

Subject: Intra-coastal waterway navigation
From: "Rick & Linda Bernard"

Red-Right-Returning. In the ICW your home is Seattle.

I find it's easier for people to remember that red is always on the main land
side of the ICW going up and down the coast.

Capt. Bill
Florida Keyz

red right rising is a better method
Paul Schilter

rising? Please explain.

"Florida Keyz" wrote in message

red right rising is a better method

otnmbrd

The: East Coast; North to South, East to West. Gulf Coast; South to
North, East to West. West Coast: South to North, West to East, i.e.,
clockwise around the country, are BROAD generalizations.
Everyone can nitpick and say "well, whatabouthere?".
Without a chart of the particular area, to see how the particular
channel relates to those nearby, it's hard to give specifics.
Another generalization: For channels beginning at sea, start at the most
seaward buoy and it will be "RRR". For the Intracoastal, start in Maine,
and as you head for Brownsville,Tx, it will be "RRR".
Most importantly, forget these "generalizations", and check your chart,
cause them "generalizations" can put your butt aground.

otn

Sandra wrote:
(Florida Keyz) wrote in message ...

red right rising is a better method

I appreciate everyone's response. I am still not getting it into my
head properly. I know how it is and can navigate the ICW fine I am
just wanting to understand the methodology.

define rising...

Also, in an earlier message someone said Seattle is your home in the
ICW. I lived in CA and never saw an ICW. Thanks again for everyone's
help.

Scott

LaBomba182

From: (Florida Keyz)

red right rising is a better method

For what? Baking?

Capt. Bill

More on ICW Dangers anchorlt Cruising 6 March 13th 04 04:00 PM
ICW -- In Danger anchorlt Cruising 68 March 3rd 04 06:08 AM
[AD] Navigation Software Just Got a Lot Better (and the charts are free) [email protected] General 0 February 24th 04 12:26 AM
icw un funded! Florida Keyz General 0 February 22nd 04 01:32 PM