Default Sheave material

Thanks all.
I will be trying the GFN for one sheave anyway, but will get a delrin
alternate as well . Size may determine which ends up being used, as they
bracket the original sheave in diameter.

"Garland Gray" wrote in message
Frankly, I thought I'd get a better answer here.
It's really moot now, because I have a choice of GFN for only one size
sheave(I need 3 different sheaves) . I'll probably get it and try it
because the size might be better than the closest acetal sheave.

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 09:35:42 -0500, "Garland Gray"
wrote:

I need to replace some old plastic sheaves, and I have the option of
sheaves
made of Delrin, acetal, or glass filled nylon. (I have learned that
delrin
is acetal, but don't know if all acetal sheaves are delrin).
So what are the relative attributes of acetal and glass filled nylon
sheaves? I read somewhere that GFN might be more abrasive on the pin, but
assume that it is stronger. Ronstan sells both, but their website doesn't
solicit questions.

Why not give Ronstan or your local rigger a call and find out the pros
and cons of each?

Garland Gray wrote:
Thanks all.
I will be trying the GFN for one sheave anyway, but will get a delrin
alternate as well . Size may determine which ends up being used, as they
bracket the original sheave in diameter.

Garland, do you have a machinist friend, or maybe a hobbiest friend with
a lathe? Making a sheave from a chunk of Delrin is trivial, or
aluminum, or brass, stainless is a bit trickier, not to mention expensive.

Cheers
Martin (have lathe, will travel)

Well, I do have access to "country" machine shop that is reasonble, but I
think I can find a stock size close enough, maybe even be more suitable than
the original.

"Marty" wrote in message
Garland Gray wrote:
Thanks all.
I will be trying the GFN for one sheave anyway, but will get a delrin
alternate as well . Size may determine which ends up being used, as they
bracket the original sheave in diameter.

Garland, do you have a machinist friend, or maybe a hobbiest friend with a
lathe? Making a sheave from a chunk of Delrin is trivial, or aluminum, or
brass, stainless is a bit trickier, not to mention expensive.

Cheers
Martin (have lathe, will travel)

what material to use? R Whellum Boat Building 12 November 16th 04 06:18 PM
Deck material Ole Skovrup Boat Building 0 November 11th 04 01:16 PM
Caprail - material Adam Boat Building 9 July 29th 04 02:44 PM
New sail material Parallax Cruising 7 October 30th 03 03:19 AM
What material ?????? Ytter Boat Building 0 October 4th 03 09:25 PM