Makani

Default Stolen Dinghy

Interesting story from the website www.jangadacat.com. Keep a look out for a blue-hulled 52' Jeanneau Sun Odyssey named "Don Juan" and it's "owner" Ignacio.

For the full (long) story, see http://www.jangadacat.com/stories/dinghy.cfm.

On March 2003 I left San Diego on my 42' Fountain Pajot catamaran s/v JANGADA bound for La Paz, Baja, Mexico. I arrived there in late March, re-provisioned, and spent a week sailing nearby. On April 10 I checked into Marina de La Paz and was assigned to a slip where I tied up with my bow forward; my new 10' Zodiac with 15hp Merc outboard was hanging from the stern davits.

The slip I was assigned to had been occupied by "Bright Wing", another catamaran. John, the owner, had a Zodiac similar to mine that wouldn't hold air and he had just bought a new one to replace it. He put the word out that the old one was for sale and a Spanish sailor named Ignacio Miro came around to look at it. Ignacio told him that the Zodiac was junk and offered to buy it for $300 (it had cost $2,500 a few months before). Since John was anxious to get out sailing, and he had already purchased a new one, he agreed.

On April 12 I locked up my boat and told the office at Marina de La Paz that I would be gone for three weeks and would return in early May. I secured my dinghy to the davits with a 3/16" steel cable and heavy-duty brass lock, as well as other securing lines and straps.

I returned to my boat in La Paz on May 2 to find my dinghy missing. The cable had been cleanly cut and the lowering lines and pulleys were still on the davits; the securing straps and other lines were gone.

Next morning (May 3) I announced on the VHF that my dinghy and motor had been stolen, and for anyone with information to please contact me. In talking with various people over the next few days I narrowed the probable theft between April 14-20. I made a full report to the police (a two day ordeal), printed up notices and posted them in several stores, public areas and other marinas in La Paz, and I visited the local Port Captain and Customs Office to provide them with all the information.

The police sent two investigators to investigate further, take fingerprints and question the security personnel on the afternoon of May 3. Unfortunately nothing came of my efforts; I gave up looking, pulled JANGADA from the water for the summer, and returned home.

I purchased a new dinghy and motor in Oregon and arranged to have a friend bring them down to La Paz. I returned to La Paz in December, assembled the new dinghy/motor package, and went out sailing for two months. In late January I left the boat in the water at Marina Palmira and returned home.

Remainder of story at http://www.jangadacat.com/stories/dinghy.cfm

Help with PVC Dinghy repair. William F. Yehle II Boat Building 0 July 8th 04 03:10 PM
collapsible dinghy Parallax Boat Building 1 May 9th 04 05:24 PM
dinghy evaluation Parallax Cruising 6 March 31st 04 06:18 AM
Skull Creek Marina complaint Aaron Cruising 8 October 14th 03 08:33 PM
What's the best dinghy for cruising and why? Harvey Porter Cruising 15 August 22nd 03 01:37 AM