K Pilson

Default Undocumented boat: input on penalties

Hi,
I am trying to avoid a costly mistake for someone. The Coast Guard failed
to notify them months ago of problems with documentation and now it looks
like it will take 2-3 months for the Coast Guard to get the papers to them.
So...they of course want to sail!
What are the fines/penalties for having an undocumented boat in
Massachusetts waters?
I assume this would have insurance implications too. Does anybody know?
Thanks,
Karin

Armond Perretta

K Pilson wrote:

What are the fines/penalties for having an undocumented boat in
Massachusetts waters?
I assume this would have insurance implications too. Does anybody
know? Thanks,

There are very likely no penalties. Documentation for pleasure boats is
optional and if MA is like other states your friends will already have a
state registration. That aside if the folks at Gettysburg (i.e., the
Documentation Office) are the culprits, or even if this is NOT the case, it
is unlikely that a penalty will be imposed. The $ megabucks/day penalties
relate to large vessels. This is what happens when the same sets of rules
that are applicable to the Exxon Valdez are later applied to 27 foot
sailboats.

Hey, if the morons in Washington are rounding up innocents on the West Coast
for having "almost the right fingerprints" or for enjoying a Mojito in
Havana, I guess anything is possible.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat

Michael

First get the documentation turned in and a receipt. For USCG purposes
that's good because they know they are behind on paperwork. Beyond that
depends on the state. Nevada for example refuses to register a documented
vessel. Washington State doesn't care if it's documented or not they still
register but they call it something else to get around the federal ruling
barring state licensing/registration of federally documented boats. I think
they call it a use permit for state waters or somesuch. However if you have
both do not display the state numbers as the USCG can fine you for that.
I'ts illegal to do so for documented vessels. Check around the rules on
each state's website and ask local people. Do not directly ask the state
especially those like Mass and Cal who are infamous for grubbing money
anyway they can. The local people will know how to handle it the best way.

M.

"Armond Perretta" wrote in message
K Pilson wrote:

[...]

Scott Vernon

Don't know about Ma., but in MD, I was offered to buy a MD state sticker
till my documentation came through. Would have needed hull numbers, but was
legal. I saved the $15 and sailed without for a few months. No problems.

--
Scotty
S/V Lisa Marie

"K Pilson" wrote in message
Hi,
I am trying to avoid a costly mistake for someone. The Coast Guard failed
to notify them months ago of problems with documentation and now it looks
like it will take 2-3 months for the Coast Guard to get the papers to

them.
So...they of course want to sail!
What are the fines/penalties for having an undocumented boat in
Massachusetts waters?
I assume this would have insurance implications too. Does anybody know?
Thanks,
Karin

Scott Odell

My documentation papers were filed last October and by late March I had
still not gotten my certificate due to the "normal" three month backlog
having been compounded by a missing social security number on the transfer
of ownership form. Wary of our increasingly active local, state, and CG
marine patrols and wanting to be "street legal", I called the Documentation
Center with my sad story. A very efficient and helpful clerk found my
paperwork, and faxed a copy the next day to the local Maryland DNR office
which then issued me a valid state sticker. I'd give very high marks to the
MD and CG office staff, but a failing grade to legislators who are
underfunding traditional coast guard operations, ICW dredging and the like.
I think I'll call my congressman tomorrow . . .

Scott Odell
S/V Itchen

"Scott Vernon" said,
Don't know about Ma., but in MD, I was offered to buy a MD state sticker
till my documentation came through. Would have needed hull numbers, but
was
legal. I saved the $15 and sailed without for a few months. No problems.

Vito

"Scott Odell" wrote
....... I'd give very high marks to the
MD and CG office staff, but a failing grade to legislators who are
underfunding traditional coast guard operations, ICW dredging and the

like.
I think I'll call my congressman tomorrow . . .

I already did, and my Senators and followed up with letters, being careful
to praise the CG and ask that (s)he give them the help and funding they
need. Every boater should do the same.

CG problems go beyond staffing - somebody sold them computer SW designed for
a hospital, not boat management, that compounds their short handedness. Tell
your congressman they need a new one that works more than Iraq needs our
money - and dump the shrub next fall.

David&Joan

Karin:

I bought a used and previously documented boat on March 11 of this year.
There was an outstanding lein on the boat from the current owner. There are
at least two steps towards getting a USCG document. The first is paying off
the previous owner's loan and getting the lender to issue a "Satisfaction of
Mortgage" certificate. The latter can take as long as the lender wants to
make it. I have seen this take several months and many phone calls to the
lender to get this done.

Then once the Satisfaction of Mortgage is in hand from the lender, it can
take many months for the USCG to process the application and return your new
document. It has been three months and I still don't have my new document.

But I have also enjoyed my new boat over the last several months. No
responsible law enforcement official and certainly no court is going to fine
you for not being documented- provided you have timely submitted your
application for documentation to the USCG.

I know how to document my own boat (I was a yacht broker for a short period
in my career), but I chose to pay a documentation service precisely for this
reason. They gave me a letter inidcating that documentation has been applied
for and the USCG was processing the application. If I am stopped (and I have
only been stopped once by the USCG in thousands of hours of sailing), I will
show them that letter and they will smile and let me go on my way.

And for the state police, harbor patrol, etc. What they care about is
getting their sales tax. So also keep a receipt for sales tax paid on board.

So, the bottom line is don't worry about it if you have followed the rules.
Enjoy your new boat.

David

J.Slater

"K Pilson" wrote in message
Hi,
I am trying to avoid a costly mistake for someone. The Coast Guard failed
to notify them months ago of problems with documentation and now it looks
like it will take 2-3 months for the Coast Guard to get the papers to

them.
So...they of course want to sail!
What are the fines/penalties for having an undocumented boat in
Massachusetts waters?
I assume this would have insurance implications too. Does anybody know?
Thanks,
Karin

I bought a boat in Puerto Rico in 2000 and all you need to do is keep copies
on board of the forms you sent to the Coast Guard to get your vessel
documented. Unless they've changed the rules in the last 4 years, it's all
that's required. Check the FAQ on their website.