Grouch

Default boat buying on ebay

I once read that Ebay Motors has a policy that when a high bidder wins a
boat, he has the opportunity to do the survey and sea trial to determine if
the boat is as stated.I can't find that nugget on Ebay now and am really
keen on a sailboat there. Can anyone help?

Len Krauss

Don't know of such a policy. I'd think it best in any case to email the
seller and get his emailed agreement to such conditions should you be the
winning bidder. His response or lack thereof may say a lot about what he's
selling.
Len

--
Eliminate "ns" for email address.
"Grouch" wrote in message
m...
I once read that Ebay Motors has a policy that when a high bidder wins a
boat, he has the opportunity to do the survey and sea trial to determine

if
the boat is as stated.I can't find that nugget on Ebay now and am really
keen on a sailboat there. Can anyone help?

Keith

All E-bay does is connect the buyer and seller. There is no legally binding
contact via E-bay. You get together with the seller and sign a basic sales
contract (at least you should!) contingent on sea trial, survey, and
financing, etc. Go from there.

--

Keith
__
"Grouch" wrote in message
m...
I once read that Ebay Motors has a policy that when a high bidder wins a
boat, he has the opportunity to do the survey and sea trial to determine

if
the boat is as stated.I can't find that nugget on Ebay now and am really
keen on a sailboat there. Can anyone help?

Les Dawson

"Keith" wrote in message
All E-bay does is connect the buyer and seller. There is no legally

binding
contact via E-bay. You get together with the seller and sign a basic sales
contract (at least you should!) contingent on sea trial, survey, and
financing, etc. Go from there.

That's not true in the UK where winning an auction creates a legally binding
contract.

Samotnik

W artykule Les Dawson napisał(a):
All E-bay does is connect the buyer and seller. There is no legally

binding
contact via E-bay. You get together with the seller and sign a basic sales
contract (at least you should!) contingent on sea trial, survey, and
financing, etc. Go from there.

That's not true in the UK where winning an auction creates a legally binding
contract.

OK, but not between eBay and the buyer, just between the buyer and
seller. It's a great difference, because you cannot i.e. sue eBay - they
only give a platform to connect the parties and nothing more. They of
course try to do it as good as they can, so they give some options to
secure the transaction, but it's still a thing between two individuals.
--
Samotnik

Jim

"Samotnik" wrote in message
W artykule Les Dawson

napisał(a):
[...]

I have written sellers and asked if they would accept a bid subject to
Survey. Some will, some won't. Them who won't don't get bids.

Keith

Boat U.S. has a good service for people selling their own boats. Or buyers
for that matter. They have all the contract forms, will do title searches,
and even have an escrow service. You can get the forms for free if you're a
boat U.S. member, or use any or all of the services. I used this when
purchasing my current boat. I especially liked the escrow services, rather
than handing a big deposit check to somebody I didn't know from Adam.

--

Keith
__
"Jim" wrote in message

"Samotnik" wrote in message
W artykule Les Dawson

offshore fishing adectus General 7 January 3rd 04 03:23 PM
Looking for information when buying a boat D.Newton General 0 January 2nd 04 06:10 PM
wanted: live-aboard boaters Power & Motoryacht Cruising 6 September 16th 03 02:25 AM