Rosalie B.

Default boat buying on ebay

"sayah" wrote:

Descriptions are always open to interpretation. This is what's called under
the law "puffing". What does a term "cream puff" really mean? It is up to
the buyer to inspect and verify, before bidding. Wouldn't you do this with
a car?

I wouldn't describe a boat with a hole in it as "in good condition"
puffing or no puffing.

I have sold things on ebay. I sold some mustard seed earrings, and
the buyer complained that she had a hard time seeing the mustard
seeds. Well duh. The whole point of the earrings is that the seeds
are incredibly tiny.

"QLW" wrote in message
With the exception that, if the item for sale is found to be not as
described, then the winning bidder has every right to refuse to buy. I
always email the seller and ask him to describe any faults or flaws...if
they refuse, I don't bid. A friend won the bid on a wood boat that was
described as "in good condition" only to find an undisclosed 6" hole in

the
side. That seller should be responsible for travel and time lost for the
buyer. My friend regularly buys boats on Ebay to fixup and resale and he
has made some great buys, but a few stinkers that he had to refuse as

well.
Ask lots of questions and emptor caveat.

"sayah" wrote in message
nk.net...
Well of course, ebay is an auction site. Except for the Real Estate,

what
you bid on is sold "as is" and you should inspect before the sale, if

not,
don't bid. When you bid you make a legal contract between yourself and

the
seller to purchase. This works to your advantage since you could win

the
auction and get a great boat at greatly reduced price from the "blue

book".
This is so because the seller has legally agreed to sell the item when

the
reserve is met, if there is a reserve.
"Keith" wrote in message
Boat U.S. has a good service for people selling their own boats. Or

buyers
for that matter. They have all the contract forms, will do title

searches,
and even have an escrow service. You can get the forms for free if

you're
boat U.S. member, or use any or all of the services. I used this when
purchasing my current boat. I especially liked the escrow services,

rather
than handing a big deposit check to somebody I didn't know from Adam.

--

Keith
__
"Jim" wrote in message

"Samotnik" wrote in message
W artykule Les

Dawson
napisał(a):
All E-bay does is connect the buyer and seller. There is no

legally
binding
contact via E-bay. You get together with the seller and sign a
basic
sales
contract (at least you should!) contingent on sea trial,

survey,
and
financing, etc. Go from there.

That's not true in the UK where winning an auction creates a

legally
binding
contract.

OK, but not between eBay and the buyer, just between the buyer and
seller. It's a great difference, because you cannot i.e. sue

eBay -
they
only give a platform to connect the parties and nothing more. They

of
course try to do it as good as they can, so they give some options

secure the transaction, but it's still a thing between two
individuals.
--
Samotnik

I have written sellers and asked if they would accept a bid subject

Survey. Some will, some won't. Them who won't don't get bids.

grandma Rosalie

offshore fishing adectus General 7 January 3rd 04 03:23 PM
Looking for information when buying a boat D.Newton General 0 January 2nd 04 06:10 PM
wanted: live-aboard boaters Power & Motoryacht Cruising 6 September 16th 03 02:25 AM