Default Norway/Skagerrak - weather, ports and other useful info?

I have not yet found good resources on Norway such as weather forecasts
(VHF, internet maps, ...), ports (websites with descriptions,
facilities, phone numbers, VHF channels) and descriptions of cruising up
there with a small motor vessel (15m).

Any pointers most welcome, as I plan a trip from Göteborg (SE) to Oslo
(NO) and Kristiansand (summertime).

TIA

Marc

--
remove bye and from mercial to get valid e-mail
http://www.heusser.com

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 00:26:59 +0100, Marc Heusser
d wrote:

I have not yet found good resources on Norway such as weather forecasts
(VHF, internet maps, ...), ports (websites with descriptions,
facilities, phone numbers, VHF channels) and descriptions of cruising up
there with a small motor vessel (15m).

Any pointers most welcome, as I plan a trip from Göteborg (SE) to Oslo
(NO) and Kristiansand (summertime).

Here's a modest start:

http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/01488.html

http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/02526.html

http://www.sailingnetworks.com/organisation/view/2507

"Marc Heusser" d skrev i
melding ...
I have not yet found good resources on Norway such as weather forecasts
(VHF, internet maps, ...), ports (websites with descriptions,
facilities, phone numbers, VHF channels) and descriptions of cruising up
there with a small motor vessel (15m).

Any pointers most welcome, as I plan a trip from Göteborg (SE) to Oslo
(NO) and Kristiansand (summertime).

TIA

Marc

--
remove bye and from mercial to get valid e-mail
http://www.heusser.com

http://www.norwegiancruisingguide.com/

jan

Marc Heusser a écrit :
I have not yet found good resources on Norway such as weather forecasts
(VHF, internet maps, ...), ports (websites with descriptions,
facilities, phone numbers, VHF channels) and descriptions of cruising up
there with a small motor vessel (15m).

Any pointers most welcome, as I plan a trip from Göteborg (SE) to Oslo
(NO) and Kristiansand (summertime).

Hi Marc!
Found this add:

http://www.norwegiancruisingguide.com
The original, most complete and most up-to-date English language guide
for mariners to the coasts of Norway, Svalbard (Spitsbergen), Bjørnøya
(Bear Island) and the SW coast of Sweden.
* Available now as an eBook for immediate download.
* Includes a harbours and anchorages waypoint file for loading in
to your plotter or navigation software.

Hope this help...
Rgds.
Michel.

"Marc Heusser" d wrote in
message ...
I have not yet found good resources on Norway such as weather forecasts
(VHF, internet maps, ...), ports (websites with descriptions,
facilities, phone numbers, VHF channels) and descriptions of cruising up
there with a small motor vessel (15m).

Any pointers most welcome, as I plan a trip from Göteborg (SE) to Oslo
(NO) and Kristiansand (summertime).

The weather services here are very sophisticated and give comprehensive
information in great detail.
Log onto http://www.yr.no/sted/norge/vestfold and you will find a list of
ports on Oslofjord and all weather forecasts for them.
I believe that if you substitute Sweden or Denmark after /sted in this
address you will get theirs as well.

I recommend the Norwegian charts for their own waters. The main charts come
at a scale of 1;50000 and two or three of them will cover the whole of Oslo
fjord.
These charts, split down into sections of about 12x10 miles also come in
sets called Båtsportkarts and are available from Norwegian bookshops. They
come in plastic transparent waterproof envelopes and three or four sets will
cover the whole Oslofjord. They are very handy as you can use them in the
cockpit but because of the small area each sheet covers it is a bit of a
pain moving your position from one sheet to another and this introduces
possibility of error, so I have the larger charts as well so that I can see
port of departure and destination on the same chart and thereby be sure of
arriving at the right course. Of course, you can get course and distance
between any two points off your GPS but I do not believe in relying solely
on electronics in a yacht.
Having said that however, there are so many rocks and islands around here
that you would be well advised to ensure you have a gps preferably in the
cockpit as it is surprisingly hard to identify individual features when you
are offshore and a wrong decision can have serious consequences as rocks are
only marked if they are isolated ones in the recognised navigational
channels.
Norwegian sailing directions come in a series called 'den Norske Løs' . I
got mine a few years ago and mine are in English as well a Norwegian but
the latest editions are all Norwegian.
All these publications can be ordered through any chart agent.
Instead of/as well as/ the sailing directions you will find that for going
into the dozens of nice harbours around here you will need the book called
'Havnguiden' which are all in Norwegian but give details of the best
harbours with aerial views as well as simple charts. All Norwegian bookshops
sell these.

There is very deep water right up to the time you hit a hidden rock so it is
essential to know exactly where you are all the time. You will find
Norwegians take aadvantage of this by going alongside suitable rocks and
tying up to rings which are often fixed to them for the purpose or even
hammering in their own special 'pitons' which some carry for the purpose.
Coming from Uk to Norway I have found it very hard to adapt to this practice
as rock avoidance is hardwired into my consciousness so I prefer to go
alongside only if there is a proper landing stage, otherwise I anchor off
and use the dinghy.
I am based on the island of Tjøme, about halfway up the fjord

d wrote:

I have not yet found good resources on Norway such as weather forecasts
(VHF, internet maps, ...), ports (websites with descriptions,
facilities, phone numbers, VHF channels) and descriptions of cruising up
there with a small motor vessel (15m).

Any pointers most welcome, as I plan a trip from Göteborg (SE) to Oslo
(NO) and Kristiansand (summertime).

Here's a modest start:

http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/01488.html

http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/02526.html

http://www.sailingnetworks.com/organisation/view/2507

Thank you.
Wunderground seems to stop short of Skagerrak, at least for wave heights.
And on sailingnetworks, there seem not to be many norwegian clubs, but
Sweden will get me started I guess.

In article ,
"Jan" wrote:
http://www.norwegiancruisingguide.com/

Thank you, found it, looks good - if only they did not have such a silly
copy protection scheme that requires Windows - I prefer my Mac and
..pdf-Files.

In article ,
"Edgar" wrote:

The weather services here are very sophisticated and give comprehensive
information in great detail.
Log onto http://www.yr.no/sted/norge/vestfold and you will find a list of
ports on Oslofjord and all weather forecasts for them.
I believe that if you substitute Sweden or Denmark after /sted in this
address you will get theirs as well.

It seems though that I will not find wave heights and directions here.

I recommend the Norwegian charts for their own waters....

Thank you.

Having said that however, there are so many rocks and islands around here
that you would be well advised to ensure you have a gps preferably in the
cockpit ...

That will be the case, fortunately, and a small radar as well.

Norwegian sailing directions come in a series called 'den Norske Løs' . I
got mine a few years ago and mine are in English as well a Norwegian but
the latest editions are all Norwegian.
All these publications can be ordered through any chart agent.
Instead of/as well as/ the sailing directions you will find that for going
into the dozens of nice harbours around here you will need the book called
'Havnguiden' which are all in Norwegian but give details of the best
harbours with aerial views as well as simple charts. All Norwegian bookshops
sell these.

Ok, found those: http://www.seilmagasinet.no/id/29067
Seems I have to learn at least some Norwegian :-)

There is very deep water right up to the time you hit a hidden rock so it is
essential to know exactly where you are all the time.

Thanks for the warning, I have seen some of those north of Göteborg :-)

You will find
Norwegians take aadvantage of this by going alongside suitable rocks and
tying up to rings which are often fixed to them for the purpose or even
hammering in their own special 'pitons' which some carry for the purpose.
Coming from Uk to Norway I have found it very hard to adapt to this practice
as rock avoidance is hardwired into my consciousness so I prefer to go
alongside only if there is a proper landing stage, otherwise I anchor off
and use the dinghy.

I am based on the island of Tjøme, about halfway up the fjord

I'll let you know when I get up there, it is not yet firmly decided.
If so, it will be with MY Helene, MMSI 211 418 190 and hopefully AIS
running.

Marc