Default No more bottom paint!

http://www.ultrasonic-antifouling.com/

Only needs 1 amp 24/7
Gordon

On Fri, 09 Jan 2009 18:58:49 +0000, Gordon wrote:

http://www.ultrasonic-antifouling.com/

Only needs 1 amp 24/7
Gordon

I had a look at the site referenced above and a couple of things come
to mind.

First of all the site seems to talk ONLY abut algae and never about
barnacles or other kinds of shell fish.

Secondly, I have an inside mounted depth sounder with the transponder
epoxied to the inside of the hull - very similar to the installation
of the system described in the reference URL. I have never noticed any
decrease in growth on the hull from using the depth sounder.

Finally, as the entire system consists of a transmitter and a power
supply generating ultra-sonic pulses the price of GBP 700+ seems
extremely high for the electronics involved.
Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Bruce In Bangkok wrote:
[...]

There was a short review of this device in a magazine.
Not a lot of info - but a claim of "one amp - 24/7".

So what does that mean?

One amp hour - per hour?
That would be useful only tied to the pier!

Richard

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Bruce In Bangkok wrote:
[...]

It means one amp continuously flowing 24 hours/day so you would need large
deep cycle batteries which, according to Larry, you do not get unless you go
for the large golf cart batteries..
The earlier comment about the depth sounder is interesting because ISTR that
I read somewhere that a transducer working through the hull does leave a
clear spot.
But that is very different to keeping a whole boat clear.
As regards barnacles and other kinds of shellfish I doubt whether, alive or
dead, they are going to drop off once they become established so if
ultrasonic works at all it has to scare them off when they are small
organisms swimming around looking for a good place to latch onto.

MMC MMC is offline

"Edgar" wrote in message

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Bruce In Bangkok wrote:
[...]

Might work well on a material that transmits sound well like steel or
aluminum but 'glass?

Edgar wrote:
The earlier comment about the depth sounder is interesting because ISTR that
I read somewhere that a transducer working through the hull does leave a
clear spot.

Well, I'm like Bruce, I have a depth sounder with the transducer in a
well epoxied to the inside of the hull; I have never seen a "clear" spot
on the outside of the hull where the transducer is mounted.

Cheers
Martin

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 16:46:41 +0100, "Edgar"
wrote:

"cavelamb" wrote in message
om...
Bruce In Bangkok wrote:
[...]

1 amp/hour is only 24 amp-hours/day. My fridge consumes about 2.5
amp-hours (60 A.H.) and the solar panels pretty much take care of that
(old solar panels).

I have no idea whether the depth sounder will keep an area clear as I
usually scrape or scrub the bottom every few months and never had an
accumulation of shells all over the bottom.

Regarding barnacles, I had a pretty good look at the web site and I
didn't notice anything mentioned except for algae, and as you say,
once the barnacles are established you can hardly scrape them off, say
nothing of sound waves...

I do a little electronics tinkering and no way can I see anything like
GBP 700 worth of design, testing and manufacturing costs to build an
ultra-sonic frequency oscillator and amp.

My own thoughts are that whether this thing works or not it is grossly
overpriced.

If Larry reads this perhaps he could comment.

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 13:19:47 -0500, Marty wrote:

Edgar wrote:
The earlier comment about the depth sounder is interesting because ISTR that
I read somewhere that a transducer working through the hull does leave a
clear spot.

Well, I'm like Bruce, I have a depth sounder with the transducer in a
well epoxied to the inside of the hull; I have never seen a "clear" spot
on the outside of the hull where the transducer is mounted.

Cheers
Martin

Perhaps, although I'm not really sure about it, the "stuff" is
frequency sensitive?

wrote:

"cavelamb" wrote in message
news:ioqdnbN8HMQtOfXUnZ2dnUVZ_q7inZ2d@earthlink. com...
Bruce In Bangkok wrote:
[...]

The Navy Electronics Laboratory in San Diego proved it was BS back in the
60's. Snake oil that comes and goes with the tide. Or as the marketing
people say, you don't need a workable product, you need a product that
sounds workable.

This has been discussed on this forum:
http://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/ind...showtopic=8025

The site does mention that algae will "Drop off" but existing
barnacles will have to be scraped off.

Bottom paint Cessna 310 Cruising 2 April 9th 07 02:19 AM
Bottom paint trojanman General 5 January 8th 07 07:25 PM
Bottom Paint ,,, 20 layers of Bottom Paint ,,, how to remove it. Thomas Wentworth Cruising 33 April 12th 06 12:31 AM
bottom paint [email protected] Boat Building 1 April 3rd 06 07:40 PM
FS: Bottom Paint tbp General 0 October 6th 04 04:34 PM