Default Walking down the dock

On Wed, 7 Jan 2009 10:58:29 -0500, "Ernest Scribbler"
wrote:

"Bruce In Bangkok" wrote
www.meder.hu

"Sailing Alone Around the World with Carina (19ft boat)"

Fascinating site. Thanks.

I found him quite interesting to talk to. Apparently he wanted to sail
around the world and so just went out and did it.

From talking to him the boat was all he could afford and so he went
for it. He makes no pretenses that he has the best boat and in fact
when I said I had a 40' boat he commented that I must be a lot faster
then him. He said that coming up the Malacca Straits he was able to do
1.5 K, over the ground at times. His Atlantic crossing was 5 weeks and
I asked him how he carried all the supplies and he mentioned that he
tried to use as little fresh water as possible :-)

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

"katy" wrote in message
om...
Bruce In Bangkok wrote:
On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 08:33:41 -0500, katy
wrote:

What's the big black boat across the fairway in the picture?

That is a "Junk". The inverted commas are because it is really just a
semi-traditional hull with a big engine and junk type fully battened
sails. It is a day cruise charter boat and is quite successful, going
out nearly every day with, say 10 - 30 passengers.

The sails are only for show, they haul them up in the morning and they
are small enough that in any wind short of a hurricane they can stay
up and not impede the boat which motors all the time.

Apparently it is quite a good trip as I have heard the tourists coming
off the boat enthusing over what a nice day they have had.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

hahahaha...we have the tourists here who say the same thing when they get
off the charter cruise ...she does put up her sails and turn off the
rngine but we have pretty tame sailing here and they all think they've
been out in a gale! Once in a while one of the time share peeps will
wander down to the docks trying to get private boats to take them out for
a fee...we all point to the charter boat...they really aren't interested
in hearing about licensing and captaincy etc...

We have charter boats somewhat like that here... however, they do actually
sail and it can be quite a dramatic experience for the uninitiated. The only
time the engines are typically on is returning or leaving the dock.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

wrote:

"Bruce In Bangkok" wrote
www.meder.hu

"Sailing Alone Around the World with Carina (19ft boat)"

Fascinating site. Thanks.

I found him quite interesting to talk to. Apparently he wanted to sail
around the world and so just went out and did it.

From talking to him the boat was all he could afford and so he went
for it. He makes no pretenses that he has the best boat and in fact
when I said I had a 40' boat he commented that I must be a lot faster
then him. He said that coming up the Malacca Straits he was able to do
1.5 K, over the ground at times. His Atlantic crossing was 5 weeks and
I asked him how he carried all the supplies and he mentioned that he
tried to use as little fresh water as possible :-)

Given his meager fuel, if he gets becalmed, he pretty much just need to
wait it out putting stress on his water supplies. I wonder if he has a
solar still for just such situations.

Did he have a huge supply of books aboard?

BTW, I met Robin Knox Johnson years ago. One of his stories still gives
me the shivers.

Capt. JG wrote:
"katy" wrote in message
om...
wrote:

[...]

I like dramatic sailing experiences///most dramatic thing in the Neuse
is if you go aground...

In article , slide wrote:
BTW, I met Robin Knox Johnson years ago. One of his stories still gives
me the shivers.

C'mon, credit where it's due, it's Sir Robin Knox-Johnston. When someone
has achieved so much the least you can do is show the respect that has
been earned, if that means calling him 'Sir Robin' then call him that!

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.

wrote:

"Bruce In Bangkok" wrote
www.meder.hu
"Sailing Alone Around the World with Carina (19ft boat)"

Fascinating site. Thanks.

I found him quite interesting to talk to. Apparently he wanted to sail
around the world and so just went out and did it.

From talking to him the boat was all he could afford and so he went
for it. He makes no pretenses that he has the best boat and in fact
when I said I had a 40' boat he commented that I must be a lot faster
then him. He said that coming up the Malacca Straits he was able to do
1.5 K, over the ground at times. His Atlantic crossing was 5 weeks and
I asked him how he carried all the supplies and he mentioned that he
tried to use as little fresh water as possible :-)

Given his meager fuel, if he gets becalmed, he pretty much just need to
wait it out putting stress on his water supplies. I wonder if he has a
solar still for just such situations.

Did he have a huge supply of books aboard?

BTW, I met Robin Knox Johnson years ago. One of his stories still gives
me the shivers.

Difficult to believe that he can carry more then, say 20 Ltrs of fuel,
or many books for that matter. It is a small boat.

I'll probably talk to him again and will try to get some details of
how, what, how much, etc.
Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

On Wed, 7 Jan 2009 09:38:48 -0800, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

"katy" wrote in message
. com...
wrote:

[...]

The "black boats" apparently were designed, from day one, as
sightseeing boats. The company owns four of them, two here and two in
Ko Samoui, and while they vary a bit in hull shape are essentially the
same - 200 HP diesels and small sails.

They haul the sails up before the customers arrive and take them down
after they get back, but they do look like a proper junk... if you've
never seen a junk :-)