Default Norcold service in Northeast Illinois?

Our Norcold fAC/DC fridge, model DE-561, has power but the compressor isn't
operating at all. Two questions...

1. Does the compressor have a fail-safe that prevents operation if all the
coolant leaks out?

2. Anyone know of a good Norcold tech in Northeastern Illinois (Winthrop
Harbor/North Point Marina)?

Thanks.

-Jim

Brian Whatcott

[unfamiliar with this model]
In general, compressors use over-temperature cut outs. A compressor
that loses refrigerant loses lubrication too, and tends to seize up.

Brian W

On Mon, 31 May 2004 04:35:18 GMT, "
wrote:

Our Norcold fAC/DC fridge, model DE-561, has power but the compressor isn't
operating at all. Two questions...

1. Does the compressor have a fail-safe that prevents operation if all the
coolant leaks out?

2. Anyone know of a good Norcold tech in Northeastern Illinois (Winthrop
Harbor/North Point Marina)?

Thanks.

-Jim

Doug Dotson

Most compressors have a low pressure switch that will cut out if
the refrigerant leaks out, and a high pressure switch that cuts out
if the condensor water quits (assuming it uses a water exchange
condensor). I've only heard bad things about Norcold so I wouldn't
be surprised if it is designed to self destruct in the event of a
failure.

Doug
s/v Callista

" wrote in message
Our Norcold fAC/DC fridge, model DE-561, has power but the compressor

isn't
operating at all. Two questions...

1. Does the compressor have a fail-safe that prevents operation if all the
coolant leaks out?

2. Anyone know of a good Norcold tech in Northeastern Illinois (Winthrop
Harbor/North Point Marina)?

Thanks.

-Jim

Fred Miller

Based on my experience two years ago with the same make/model the compressor
is shot. Get a good estimate on the cost of repair and cost to replace. The
compressor and expansion coil and cooling coils are all one unit and the
labor to remove the refrigerator, remove the old mechanicals and labor to
replace same plus cost of parts was greater then the cost of a new
refrigerator delivered to the dock where I could have replaced it myself.
In my case I was not aware of the costs until after the work was done.
Good luck.
Fred
" wrote in message
Our Norcold fAC/DC fridge, model DE-561, has power but the compressor

isn't
operating at all. Two questions...

1. Does the compressor have a fail-safe that prevents operation if all the
coolant leaks out?

2. Anyone know of a good Norcold tech in Northeastern Illinois (Winthrop
Harbor/North Point Marina)?

Thanks.

-Jim

Thanks. I've researched some remanufactured mechanicals and they seem to be
reasonable as long as I do the labor. It does make we wonder, though, if I
should be looking at a completely new unit (and by another manufacturer)

Jim

" wrote in message
> [...]
Our Norcold AC/DC fridge, model DE-561, has power but the compressor

isn't
operating at all. Two questions...

1. Does the compressor have a fail-safe that prevents operation if all

the
coolant leaks out?

2. Anyone know of a good Norcold tech in Northeastern Illinois (Winthrop
Harbor/North Point Marina)?

Thanks.

-Jim

Fred Miller

If you go the rebuilt route be sure that the compressor has an external
cooling fan on it. I am not sure when Norcold went to that but it can make
a serious difference in longevity of the compressor. Also be sure that you
have sufficient ventilation to the mechanicals. Good luck.

" wrote in message
Our Norcold AC/DC fridge, model DE-561, has power but the compressor

isn't
operating at all. Two questions...

1. Does the compressor have a fail-safe that prevents operation if all

the
coolant leaks out?

2. Anyone know of a good Norcold tech in Northeastern Illinois

(Winthrop
Harbor/North Point Marina)?

Thanks.

-Jim

Rod McInnis

" wrote in message

1. Does the compressor have a fail-safe that prevents operation if all the
coolant leaks out?

The Norcold refrigerator that I had did NOT have anuy such fail safe device.
I punctured the cooling coils and the compressor kept right on running!

2. Anyone know of a good Norcold tech in Northeastern Illinois (Winthrop
Harbor/North Point Marina)?

Did you try the website for Norcold? www.norcold.com

If the compressor does not run at all there is a good possibility that the
problem is in the control box, not the compressor. Norcold uses a low
voltage AC compressor. The control box switches 12 volts in a voltage
doubling configuration to drive the compressor. When operating on AC input,
the input is first converted down to 12 volts then driven the same as if it
was operating off of the battery input.

Consider that it will cost a minimum of around $200 to repair your unit, and
could cost several hundred more. You might save a $100 or so if you can take
the unit out and bring it down to their shop. If this unit is more than 5
years old you might want to just buy a new one.

Rod