Default Anyone have recommendations for a teak deck?

On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 07:56:37 +0700, Bruce In Bangkok
wrote:

On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 11:50:52 -0600, "KLC Lewis"
wrote:

" wrote in message
Actually, that's something I would consider - just putting on glass.
I'm sure our local boatyard could handle that without problem. Any
idea what that would run?
I do like teak decks, though (the decks converted me - before I bought
the boat, I was anti-teak decks, but my wife loved the boat...). So,
having now had teak decks, I can say I'm not beyond sailing to Beliz
or some such place to get the work done. Thailand, though, is perhaps
too exotic.

Laying-up fiberglass is easy, not worth having a yard do it at their prices.
But it's also unnecessary as the teak overlay is not structural, and you
don't need to build up more glass to take its place. You'll need to fill
thousands of screw holes, and if there's any water intrusion into the core
you'll have to dry it out first and replace any rotted core, but you'll have
to do this even if you want to glass over it anyway.

There are many non-skid materials you can install on the deck after the teak
is removed if you don't want to go with the traditional sand or ground-up
walnut shells in paint methods. Treadmaster is a rubber and cork material
that's about as non-skid as you can get. Rather pricy, but it's another DIY
project that's not difficult to do.

The problem in removing the teak and simply using the fiberglass deck
is that ~some~ boats were built without fairing the structural
fiberglass decks. If that is the case then it is a big job to sand
down to glass, apply filler and fair. Weeks of long board sanding,
then a layer of cloth and more fairing and filling and sanding.

Not all boats have un faired structural decks but you do need to be
aware of this when making plans.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Still far less expensive than replacing the teak. Also lightens the
load and helps stability. Plasteak would be another option if you
realy must have that look. Unless the boat is worth an enormous amount
of money, replacing a teak deck with new teak is probably a bit
foolish.

On Dec 23, 9:22*pm, wrote:
" *wrote:
Actually, that's something I would consider - just putting on glass.
I'm sure our local boatyard could handle that without problem. *Any
idea what that would run?

Stop by over in the circle (NW Cr) some time. We had a teak deck on
our boat, and had the teak taken off then I put down a new surface.
Except for trying to work outside in unfavorable weather, it was easy.
Come on by & see the result... looks pretty good although Id recommend
a different paint & slightly more aggressive nonskid than I actually
used, I'll be repainting our (relatively new) deck some time this
spring but then it's seen almost 3 years of pretty heavy use.

I do like teak decks, though (the decks converted me - before I bought
the boat, I was anti-teak decks, but my wife loved the boat...). *So,
having now had teak decks, I can say I'm not beyond sailing to Beliz
or some such place to get the work done. *Thailand, though, is perhaps
too exotic.

Sounds like a good motivator... if you get the teak replaced, don't
get it screwed on. The glues they use nowadays are much better.

Personally, I don't like teak decks. They're hot & heavy & slippery
when wet. Yes I said slippery! If it weren't for the rubber beading
between the planks, you could ice skate on the durn things. However
there's no fighting tradition!

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions.
This will give me something to mull over for the next few years, as I
contemplate this procedure!
And Doug, you can bet we'll be over to contemplate your new decking
over some tea!
Adrian.

WaIIy wrote in
:

and if somebody lobs a hand grenade on deck, no damage.

That might be an important feature in the Indian Ocean....(c;]

Teak Deck Bewert Boat Building 8 September 18th 04 10:55 PM
Teak deck Bryan B Cruising 12 February 18th 04 01:34 AM
Deck Compass Recommendations John Caldeira Touring 12 November 10th 03 11:42 PM
FS: Teak Deck Planks AH Boat Building 0 August 24th 03 12:34 AM