Location29

Default Schock 23

Any comments on the Schock 23 good or bad?
Thanks!
DSK

Location29 wrote:
Any comments on the Schock 23 good or bad?

http://165.121.103.95/webcaptain/WDS-Schock23.htm

It's basically the same boat as the Schock 1/4 Ton, Santana 23, and
Santana 2023. These boats were variations on the same hull & rig, most
recently being configured as water ballasted centerboarders. The Schock
23 has an off-the-shelf wing keel from a European science shop and is a
good performer.

Schock has a spotty reputation for build, though. Some of their boats
really first class. Others are puttied up with shop floor sweepings. I'd
look very carefully at all the hidden details (good advice in any case).

Hope this helps.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Location29

Schock has a spotty reputation for build, though. Some of their boats
really first class. Others are puttied up with shop floor sweepings. I'd
look very carefully at all the hidden details (good advice in any case).

Thanks Doug, this is my main concern
hopefully the Schock 23 was one of the good ones
as far as construction goes.

DSK

Location29 wrote:
Thanks Doug, this is my main concern
hopefully the Schock 23 was one of the good ones
as far as construction goes.

It seems to get down to individual boats. Some of the same model, same
year, hav incredible variations in what went into their guys. I used to
race a Schock 35 which by most accounts is a pretty well built boat. The
one I sailed on most had very good structural details... then for one
regatta I sailed on another guy's, same year (the hull numbers differed
by 3), which looked like most of the structure was built up of paper
maschee and it could not be tuned properly because the hull flexed like
a wet noodle (for example, when the backstay was tightened, the
companionway slide jammed in place). It also leaked prodigiously. Some
years later the spinnaker sheet winch came off that boat, and peeled up
a few feet of deck with it.

My wife and I were looking very seriously at buying a Santana 2023 back
when they first came out. For looks & performance it's the best of the
water ballast trailersailers. The one we saw at the boat show was nicely
done... a little raggedy around some of the hidden spots, but basically
sound. The one we saw on a dealers lot looked like dried toothpaste over
tack rags, and the wiring was a jumble of twist-n-tape lamp cord.

So not to make a long song and dance out of this, what I'm saying is...
look carefully at the individual boat you're considering. Not that you
wouldn't do that anyway

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Location29

Contacted Schock and they said the 23
had a solid layup hull, cored deck and deck to hull
is bonded with 5200 with screws, sounds good to me.
Going to check this boat out, supposed to sail
fast on all points and manages to do it with
35" draft.