BoatBanter.com

-   -   Reaching struts on Hunters ? (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/10061-reaching-struts-hunters.html)

Going Cruising May 20th 04 12:44 AM

Reaching struts on Hunters ?

I've seen several Hunters abot 35' or so that have what looks like a
pair of s/s reaching struts - is this what they are?

I'm interested in the materials used are mast fastenings.

Armond Perretta May 20th 04 01:07 AM

Reaching struts on Hunters ?

Going Cruising wrote:
I've seen several Hunters abot 35' or so that have what looks like a
pair of s/s reaching struts - is this what they are?

I'm interested in the materials used are mast fastenings.

Probably not "reaching struts." A reaching strut is a specialized piece of
gear that is used with conventional spinnakers in certain situations. In
particular, when reaching with a conventional (i.e., symmetrical) spinnaker,
the spinnaker pole is eased forward until it is almost on the headstay,
This places a tremendous load on the guy, and a reaching strut is used
to force the guy outboard at right angles to the fore and aft line. This
reduces the load on the guy and on the rig itself. If my description sounds
too complicated, take a look at "Sail Power" or some other reference for the
details.

What you probably observed were a pair of "downwind poles." These are often
used to run downwind under twin headsails. Again, this is a slightly
specialized rig that was once very popular with boats cruising the trades.
Usually the poles are set on twin tracks on the mast, and depending on the
level of complexity they may have tackles to adjust the height of the
inboard end, the fore and aft angle, etc. There are specialized mast
fittings purpose built for twin poles that are quite different from a
standard spinnaker pole setup.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat

Doug Dotson May 20th 04 03:19 AM

Reaching struts on Hunters ?

Those are just a kind of brace to strengthen the lower part of the
mast. I suppose that they can be considered a kind of a shroud.
Probably cheaper than equiping the boat with a good mast and
good shrouds and good chainplates.

Doug
s/v Callista

Marc May 20th 04 04:11 AM

Reaching struts on Hunters ?

Its a pair of struts to handle the loading at the gooseneck and
transfer it to the chainplates.

Going Cruising May 20th 04 06:20 AM

Reaching struts on Hunters ?

Thanks for all your conjectures - but you're not even close. I know
what normal reaching struts are, I also know what downwind poles are -
if my answer seems too complicated - take a look up you ass and see
where your head is. Thanks again.

Armond Perretta May 20th 04 12:51 PM

Reaching struts on Hunters ?

Going Cruising wrote:
"Armond Perretta" wrote:
Going Cruising wrote:

I've seen several Hunters abot [sic] 35' or so that have what looks
like a pair of s/s reaching struts - [sic]is this what they are?

I'm interested in the materials used are [sic] mast fastenings.

Probably not "reaching struts" ... [long attempt at an explanation
snipped]

Thanks for all your conjectures - but you're not even close ...
... if my answer seems too complicated - take a look up you ass
and see where your head is ...

This charming fellow has just demonstrated that no good deed goes
unpunished, even at sea.

Don W May 20th 04 03:09 PM

Reaching struts on Hunters ?

Going Cruising wrote:
Thanks for all your conjectures - but you're not even close. I know
what normal reaching struts are, I also know what downwind poles are -
if my answer seems too complicated - take a look up you ass and see
where your head is. Thanks again.

Well,

Congratulations. You've managed to join JAXashby as the only RBC
posters in my killfile. Goodbye plonk

Don W.

Going Cruising May 20th 04 05:57 PM

Reaching struts on Hunters ?

Why did you snip your exhibition of condescending rudeness and very
obvious superiority attitude. We've been cruising and going again -
mainly to get away from little dock dickheads like you.

On Thu, 20 May 2004 07:51:17 -0400, "Armond Perretta"
wrote:

Glenn Ashmore May 20th 04 06:59 PM

Reaching struts on Hunters ?

Marc wrote:
Its a pair of struts to handle the loading at the gooseneck and
transfer it to the chainplates.

That's right. The newer Hunters have adapted the B&R rig from the
Hunter's Child. Chopped a lot of weight aloft by reducing the mast
section, adding mast support struts, deep swept spreaders reverse
diagonals and jumpers on some. It does save weight but adds a lot of
windage, causes a lot of chafe on the main down wind and is impossible
to adjust headstay tension.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Armond Perretta May 20th 04 07:10 PM

Reaching struts on Hunters ?

Going Cruising wrote:
"Armond Perretta" wrote:
Going Cruising wrote:
"Armond Perretta" wrote:
Going Cruising wrote:

I've seen several Hunters abot [sic] 35' or so that have what
looks like a pair of s/s reaching struts - [sic]is this what
they are?

I'm interested in the materials used are [sic] mast fastenings.

Probably not "reaching struts" ... [long attempt at an
explanation snipped]

Thanks for all your conjectures - [sic] but you're not even close ...
... if my answer seems too complicated - [sic] take a look up you ass
and see where your head is ...

This charming fellow has just demonstrated that no good deed goes
unpunished, even at sea.

Why did you snip your exhibition of condescending rudeness and very
obvious superiority [sic] attitude. We've been cruising and going again -
[sic] mainly to get away from little dock dickheads like you.

DEPARTMENT OF "This Is A Waste Of Good Bandwidth, But Anyway ..."::

Now that you mention it, I was way out of line. I really do mean it when I
say I apologize for my transgressions. Incidentally, when _are_ you
leaving, and can anyone around here help you slip the lines?