Joseph Friess

Default Autopilot

I have a 1986, 25', Searay Sundancer and would like to add an autopilot. I
checked into the Raymarine Sport Pilot Plus, but it requires a standard
tapered shaft on the steering column. My steering doesn't have a tapered
shaft and is not adaptable to the Sports Pilot Plus. I would have to change
the steering mechanism and cable to get a unit with a tapered shaft, which
would be very expensive.

Has anyone adapted any other units to work with this vintage Searay product?
I have seen some wheel pilots that mount right to the steering wheel that
are designed for sail boats but am not sure if they would work on a power
boat.

Larry W4CSC

Just to save us all from tearing into the nearest Sea Ray 25 we can find,
how about describe what the steering on this puppy looks like?

If I were to provide you a pushing and pulling hydraulic ram device to
steer it, would that work? B&G makes fine autopilots for about any boat up
to ship size. You're in the market for an H1000, probably with a T0 size
hydraulic ram (The pump is in the unit, it feeds on pulsed 12V power from
the Pilot ACP Processor with just 2 wires and no ground.) Add the rotary
feedback rudder angle sensor and mount the display at your helm (Display is
a simple data cable connection). It's easy to hook up and really easy to
calibrate.

Take a look on:'
http://www.bandg.com/h1000solutionspilots.htm

Lionheart is a cruising ketch with the older version "Network Pilot"
because we already had B&G Network instruments on the boat. H1000 is a
newer model, same idea. It's like a damned ghost steering the boat at the
helm. The only noise is at the rudder ram, a tiny, repeating buzzing as
the computer pulses the pump motor only when it needs to move the ram to
steer. This is the only time it uses any amps and it's damned stingy on
power unless you're in 8' seas when it's working hard.

Add the joystick and the handheld remote and you can adjust course from
your easy chair...(c; It will follow its own very-nicely-working compass
sensor (not a cheapy fluxgate, a real damped compass) or will follow
instuctions from your NMEA chart plotter or computer if integrated with
your GPS/computer system. You can add more toys at any time, easily
starting out with only compass steering.

And, when you upgrade the boat to something bigger, you simply remove the
B&G and take it with you. If the T0 won't turn the new monster, simply buy
a new ram from B&G (not a whole other autopilot) that will. The same
system with the T4 ram will steer a 55 tonne boat 35 METERS long!

I've worked on Autohelms 3000 4000 and 5000. No comparison to B&G. The
B&G CONSTANTLY "learns" the boat's characteristics on every turn to improve
its coordination constantly, even as the load changes. If you buy the
speed log, it will even change its steering characteristics and store them
for different speeds it has run for future reference. A turn on it, after
the basic commissioning is uncanny. Come 40 degrees to port. The wheel
turns over and the turn starts. As soon as it does, the B&G brings the
wheel back making a perfect turn with the wheel arriving at centered
exactly as the turn is completed. Amazing device. Steering in a seaway
with a cross current? Watch the rudder angle the Pilot uses causing the
boat to crab, exactly on course, to arrive at your destination. The only
way Lionheart's magnetic course went off was when someone laid their STEREO
SPEAKERS up against the bulkhead, screwing up the compass....(c;

All calibrations are done digitally, right from the control panel with
simple key sequences. You tell it to set the rudder limits and wheel
centered, turn the wheel over, press a button and it memorizes where that
is on the rudder sensor's position. Very professional instrument.

Larry

"Joseph Friess" wrote in
:

Autopilot L. M. Rappaport Cruising 36 November 23rd 03 03:27 AM
Autopilot Autohelm Joseph Friess Cruising 0 September 24th 03 11:12 AM
Autopilot decision: Raymarine ST4000 vs Simrad 30 LaBomba182 Cruising 1 September 4th 03 03:32 PM
autopilot GAZ General 0 July 23rd 03 03:57 AM