Default How to cut a nautilus shell in half?

I've found a bunch over the years and want to cut one in half. Any
ideas what kind of (affordable) saw or blade would make a nice job?
They are typically 6-7" across.
-----------------
-----------------

On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 09:43:07 -0700, wrote:

I've found a bunch over the years and want to cut one in half. Any
ideas what kind of (affordable) saw or blade would make a nice job?
They are typically 6-7" across.
-----------------

Something like this:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...833&lpage=none

http://tinyurl.com/5h4ga3

or this

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...726&lpage=none

http://tinyurl.com/6q8eo9

or bigger still:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100573049

http://tinyurl.com/6b8aso

On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 12:21:41 -0500, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 09:43:07 -0700, wrote:

I've found a bunch over the years and want to cut one in half. Any
ideas what kind of (affordable) saw or blade would make a nice job?
They are typically 6-7" across.
-----------------

Something like this:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...833&lpage=none

http://tinyurl.com/5h4ga3

or this

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...726&lpage=none

http://tinyurl.com/6q8eo9

or bigger still:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100573049

http://tinyurl.com/6b8aso

It's true: diamond grit Sawzall blades and diamond edge round blades
are not THAT high, anymore, but I would rather start with a thin
abrasive cut off saw round blade to start with. How many Nautilus
shells will he chop up anyway?

Brian W

On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 11:58:18 -0600, Brian Whatcott
wrote:

It's true: diamond grit Sawzall blades and diamond edge round blades
are not THAT high, anymore, but I would rather start with a thin
abrasive cut off saw round blade to start with. How many Nautilus
shells will he chop up anyway?

Brian W

I'd just try a fine tooth hacksaw first.
Might do fine on that shell.

--Vic

wrote
I've found a bunch over the years and want to cut one in half. Any
ideas what kind of (affordable) saw or blade would make a nice job?

You should probably be careful about throwing around a word like
"affordable" in a boating group. My guess is the nautilus half-shells that
you see in stores and such might be cut with some sort of lapidary saw. Know
any rock hounds?

wrote:

It's true: diamond grit Sawzall blades and diamond edge round blades
are not THAT high, anymore, but I would rather start with a thin
abrasive cut off saw round blade to start with. How many Nautilus
shells will he chop up anyway?

Brian W

I'd just try a fine tooth hacksaw first.
Might do fine on that shell.

Be almost like cutting a light bulb.

Casady

"Vic Smith" wrote in message

You just use a chain saw on light bulbs.
Nobody cares about how they come out.

--Vic

It's difficult to argue against such flawless logic. lol

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 13:26:03 -0600, "KLC Lewis"
wrote:

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
.. .

You just use a chain saw on light bulbs.
Nobody cares about how they come out.

--Vic

It's difficult to argue against such flawless logic. lol

I'm just a simple tool guy. Don't need that logic stuff.
You know, I spent some time searching for the right tool for the
nautilus job, and came up with squat.
Maybe I came to the end of the internets. Not the first time I was
foiled.
A thin high-speed abrasive disk would be my choice if it wasn't for
depth of cut. A large diameter one, preferably with a wider cutting
edge than body would be fine, if expensive.
A deep frame hacksaw with a round abrasive blade would work with a
steady hand. A proper holding jig is just as important as the blade
with this shell.
I did notice in searching that sellers of halved shells caution that
the inner chambers are usually damaged.
So they haven't got it figured out yet.

--Vic

"KLC Lewis" wrote in
et:

"Vic Smith" wrote in message

You just use a chain saw on light bulbs.
Nobody cares about how they come out.

--Vic

It's difficult to argue against such flawless logic. lol

The chainsaw sure make 'em compact to go into the trash....(c;]

Nautilus 90 North... Short Wave Sportfishing General 45 February 10th 07 12:09 AM
Nautilus 90 North... Reginald P. Smithers III General 0 February 8th 07 01:25 AM
Nautilus 90 North... Calif Bill General 1 February 8th 07 12:34 AM
Nautilus 90 North... Don White General 1 February 7th 07 10:16 PM
repairing a Nautilus 8 [email protected] Boat Building 7 April 19th 05 05:52 PM