Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Changed my mind about fuel polishing

The sediment bowl on the Shelco filter I put in for my fuel polishing (or
Pre-filtering, whatever you want to call it) system doesn't drain
completely. I took it out of the boat today, poured off the fuel (Not a
drop of water BTW), and scraped out the stuff in the bottom:

http://home.maine.rr.com/rlma/Crud.jpg

Wow. I was saying a while ago that didn't think the system was necessary
for the cruising I do now. I would have agreed with anyone who said it was
a hobby affectation. I still wouldn't say "necessary" is quite the right
word but I sure am glad I have it just for tootling around in Maine.

This is the left overs from about 100 gallons of fuel purchased during the
year and isn't all off it since a gust of wind blew the plate over. About
half of the fuel was road diesel purchased at a high volume gas station.
Sure, the Racor could have dealt with this stuff and I could have dealt with
the Racor but, why? There was not a speck in the Racor bowl it looked just
like it did when I changed the filter and filled the sytem last spring.
Having this crud removed from the system in a way that makes having to deal
with it's disposal underway vanishingly unlikely is great.

--
Roger Long

Fuel polishing [email protected] Cruising 0 March 26th 08 08:09 AM
You are not the only one who changed your mind at the last minute. Reginald P. Smithers III[_9_] General 1 February 5th 08 11:17 PM
Fuel Polishing Skip Gundlach Cruising 2 February 2nd 08 09:32 PM
Fuel polishing Joe ASA 1 January 29th 08 02:34 AM
Fuel Polishing [email protected] General 3 March 22nd 05 08:41 PM