posted to alt.sailing.boats.crew

Default About SALTS - Cross the Pacific Ocean by Tallship!

Cross the Pacific Ocean by Tallship!

http://www.saltsociety.com/salts_bet...SALTS_news.htm

Latest News

Click here to watch the Global television news interview:
http://www.saltsociety.com/salts_beta/about/global.htm

Spaces are filling up quickly for our upcoming Pacific Odyssey to the
South Seas and Far East, but some berths remain on Leg 6 (Japan to
Hawaii) and Leg 7 (Hawaii to Victoria)! Each of these trips will give
trainees a taste of deep sea sailing across the Pacific, and will also
explore the Hawaiian Islands! Spread the word to any young people aged
17-27 that this is a voyage not to miss. Bursaries are available to
those with financial need.

Sailing Open to All, Regardless of Income

Our goal is to ensure that we leave no one on the dock for financial
reasons. For our 2007 sailing season, we have budgeted $35000.00 in
financial assistance funding (up from $6000.00 in 2006). We are
partnering with other organizations that work with low-income families
to select young people who will receive full funding to participate in
our Summer 2007 sailing program. We will also fund partial bursaries
for our Summer and Offshore sailing programs (Offshore Bursaries of up
to $3000 each are available). In addition to these S.A.L.T.S.
bursaries, we are pleased that seven other community groups will fund
their own bursaries for our 2007 season. Adults can sail too! Day
sails are open to all members of our Society with no age restriction,
and a one-year membership is only $35 for an individual or $70 per
family!

January-March 2007 SALTINGS

Click here to download a copy (5 MB file)

News Release

January 10, 2007: Architecture Students from the University of Oregon
will conduct a design charrette at S.A.L.T.S. Heritage Shipyard

S.A.L.T.S. Office Goes Hi-Tech

We have implemented a new database system in the office that will
substantially reduce our time for data entry and processing in the
future so we can focus on more important things, like improved
communication with our constituents. The database system has a market
price of $15,000.00 USD per year but has been donated to us with the
only costs being customization and implementation. For the first time,
we accepted sailing applications online for our Summer 2007 program.
All 140 sailing berths were booked within the first 30 minutes of
registrations! The new registration system saved us dozens of hours of
data entry since the online registrations moved directly into our
database, cutting out the triple-data-entry of the old system. Other
technological advancements include a new photocopier, server software
donated by Microsoft, and graphic design software donated by Adobe
Systems, Inc.
A Fresh Face for the Society

In an effort to build a clear and consistent brand for the Society,
we have recently updated our logos, purchased new signage for the
shipyard, and launched this new website. We are also preparing to
remodel our Saltings newsletter in the coming months.
Location, Location, Location

We have received a lease extension from the City of Victoria that
expires in November 2008. We are actively negotiating with the City
regarding a long-term location and lease, and expect to have an answer
by late Spring 2007. Plan A is to remain where we are, but we are
exploring plan B, C, D, and E as well! We will be joined by 32
architecture students from the University of Oregon in early January,
and each of them will create an architectural design for how they
envision our shipyard.
Marine art of Harry Heine R.S.M.A., N.W.W.S.

We are proud to offer a selection of Giclee art prints (samples below)
by Harry Heine, RSMA, featuring the majestic ships of the S.A.L.T.S.
fleet. These prints are available at special pricing, and proceeds go
directly to fund our sail training programs. Visit www.spindriftstudios.com/sshome2.html
to see a selection of four prints, each available in two different
sizes.

Online Photos, Video, and Virtual Tours

We have a collection of almost 200 spectacular photos in our new
photo album for you to enjoy! You can also view a "BC Moments" video
about S.A.L.T.S. or take a virtual tour of the Pacific Grace and the
Pacific Swift! Click here to enter.
We Need Your Boat!

Donating your boat is a great way to support our sail training
programs for young people. You will receive a tax receipt for the fair
market value of your vessel, and we will take care of the costs and
work involved. We can arrange and pay for moorage, transportation,
insurance, surveys and broker's fees where applicable. The hundreds of
kids we take to sea each year rely on your generosity. Click here to
learn more.
Press Release

July 10, 2006: New Executive Director to Lead S.A.L.T.S. Into New
Waters