BoatBanter.com

-   -   inexpensive diesel engines (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/88825-inexpensive-diesel-engines.html)

Todd December 17th 07 02:30 PM

Low power sailing, was inexpensive diesel engines

There's also the torqueedo electric outboard. I see that Jamestown
Dist. is selling those. Not cheap though.

Shaun Van Poecke December 18th 07 11:39 PM

Low power sailing, was inexpensive diesel engines

Here's an ebay link to thoosa electric motors. They look a bit pricey to
me, start at 15hp for AU$7,500 and go up to 60HP for about AU$10,500. No
idea on the quality/usability etc, but i do see this guy advertise on ebay.
They look to have a full turnkey system, but I'm thinking to wait another
5-10 years when these things will hopefully get cheap!

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Thoosa-Electr...QQcmdZViewItem

Shaun

Terry K December 19th 07 09:15 PM

Low power sailing, was inexpensive diesel engines

If you need an engine, you would not want it waving about in the air.
Better under the hull as suggested in a well.

If you want to steer it, you want in effect, an azipod.

Lack of power is relative. 1 or 2 horses will likely give you half
hull speed, unless there is wind and waves against you, in which case,
I would mostly prefer to sail.

So, you want an auxiliary sailboat, or a motor sailer?

Or, an expensive diesel electric drive?

Or, a motor yacht with auxiliary sails?

Terry K

Richard Casady December 19th 07 11:01 PM

Low power sailing, was inexpensive diesel engines

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 13:15:35 -0800 (PST), Terry K
wrote:

If you need an engine, you would not want it waving about in the air.
Better under the hull as suggested in a well.

If you want to steer it, you want in effect, an azipod.

Lack of power is relative. 1 or 2 horses will likely give you half
hull speed, unless there is wind and waves against you, in which case,
I would mostly prefer to sail.

So, you want an auxiliary sailboat, or a motor sailer?

Or, an expensive diesel electric drive?

Or, a motor yacht with auxiliary sails?

There is an ocean crosser motor yacht that comes with a 1200 sq ft
Genoa.

Casady

Heikki December 20th 07 06:13 AM

Terry K wrote:

If you need an engine, you would not want it waving about in the air.
Better under the hull as suggested in a well.

Thanks for all who responded. Lots of interesting ideas and useful
directions for more research.

If you want to steer it, you want in effect, an azipod.

Or, two engines. How about wells near the forward end of the cockpit, one on
each side. With bottom plates, so when pulled up, the hull will be smooth
for sailing?

Lack of power is relative. 1 or 2 horses will likely give you half
hull speed, unless there is wind and waves against you, in which case,
I would mostly prefer to sail.

That is good to know - I may have been looking for too much power.

So, you want an auxiliary sailboat, or a motor sailer?

Certainly a sailboat, with just a bit of auxiliary motor power to manouver
in and out of marinas.

I still like the idea of electric propulsion, it is quiet, and immediately
available when needed. It looks like it might be possible to get enough
power from batteries, but I probably want a small generator anyway, in case
I need to motor in from further out.

Planning to do mostly day sailing, with the occasional cruise of a week or
two. Starting from Copenhagen, mostly in the Baltic (with a dream of
visiting Scotland once)

Still, as I said, the whole thing is on the dreaming stage. Perhaps I start
serious designing next year, and do my best not to build it...

- Heikki