Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
posted to rec.boats.building

Default 1959 40' CC Skiff... Designing a ramp/lift to pull boat up bank.

GOt a bit of a challege ahead. Splashing my 1959 40' CC SeaSkiff into a
river. The bank is steep and 20' high. I'll need to remove the boat
prior to winter and after te spring floods (we've had back to back
100year floods).

Boat is 18KLbs. Lapstrake with a solid hull. I've heard all the stories
about being able to lift a boat by the Samson pole... but I'm assuming
thets not the case.

Two options seem to exist:
1) design a strap harness that will enable a honking big crane (20 ton?)
to literally lift the boat out level and place it on new cradles.
Designing the harness such that it doesn't crush the keel or the sides
of the boat will be a challenge.

2) build a one-trick-pony trailer that will ride on old railroad rails.
Two challenges are the dramatic angle change from level water to
50degree bank... and then at the top... another transition to level yard.

In writing this... I think the Crane idea is the best... simple, not too
costly, and I'll need one anyways to lift my docks in and out every year.

Any other approaches I'm not thinking of?

thankd so much.