posted to rec.boats.building

Default Ultra violet

I'm building my first stitch and glue boat. Anyone please give an advice how
to make my epoxy resistant to UV.

Thanks in advance.
sixfootflat

posted to rec.boats.building
Senior Member

On Jun 9, 11:41 am, "mscres" wrote:
I'm building my first stitch and glue boat. Anyone please give an advice how
to make my epoxy resistant to UV.

Thanks in advance.
sixfootflat

Cover it with UV resistant varnish or poly based clear coat. Really
not a huge problem. Consider while building that you will be applying
varnish later so keep the coats of Epoxy down thin. Sometimes I thin
Epoxy after doing the seams and coat the panels lightly, just as a
sanding sealer and to keep the color of the wood and the seams
consistent. But the Varnish or Polyurethane with the UV protection
will be the key, that is where you will build up your thickness and
finish. Just my opinion, there are many here with much more experience.

On Jun 9, 7:09 pm, "Peter HK" wrote:
"mscres" wrote in message

I'm building my first stitch and glue boat. Anyone please give an advice
how to make my epoxy resistant to UV.

Thanks in advance.
sixfootflat

Paint

Peter HK

Of course you are right, I just assumed he wanted to clear coat, don't
know why, but you are more right than me.

mscres wrote:
I'm building my first stitch and glue boat. Anyone please give an advice how
to make my epoxy resistant to UV.

Thanks in advance.
sixfootflat

Not just paint, but white paint. The more pure the white the better.
"White as the driven snow" is best.

Tom

posted to rec.boats.building

"KD6EVM" wrote in message
. ..
mscres wrote:
I'm building my first stitch and glue boat. Anyone please give an advice
how to make my epoxy resistant to UV.

Thanks in advance.
sixfootflat

Not just paint, but white paint. The more pure the white the better.
"White as the driven snow" is best.

Tom

True... and as high gloss as possible (reflection of UV is important).
However, one can go to extremes. If stored undercover, a typical home built
S&G boat will never get enough UV to worry about. If it's an expensive boat
and stored out in the open then all the effort for a high gloss, light
coloured, high quality paint system is worth it.

Peter HK