posted to rec.boats.building

Default Wood and Canvas Canoe Mold?

Any thoughts on using an exsiting canoe as a mold for building a wood
and canvas canoe? I have limited time, and money and I thought this
my be a shortcut. Obviously not kosher for the pure traditionalist.
- Nick

posted to rec.boats.building

On 27 May 2007 21:01:40 -0700, "
wrote stuff
and I replied:

Why do you want the wood and canvas product?

Any thoughts on using an exsiting canoe as a mold for building a wood
and canvas canoe? I have limited time, and money and I thought this
my be a shortcut. Obviously not kosher for the pure traditionalist.
- Nick

Human bevaviour: Bestiality with a brain

wrote:

Any thoughts on using an exsiting canoe as a mold for building a wood
and canvas canoe? I have limited time, and money and I thought this
my be a shortcut. Obviously not kosher for the pure traditionalist.
- Nick

Low cost wood and canvas kayaks were built without a mold on a keelson
strip, fixing three or four ribs, then strakes.

What's the mold's purpose?

Brian Whatcott Altus OK
posted to rec.boats.building

Why do you want the wood and canvas product?

I think they are beautiful boats, and I would like the challenge of
building one. It would strech my existing carpentry skills.

posted to rec.boats.building

The molds purpose is was initialy to make mass production possible.
In the construction phase the metal bands help you place the ribs, and
cinch the nails when you attach the ribs.

What are strakes?

-Nick Porter

Low cost wood and canvas kayaks were built without a mold on a keelson
strip, fixing three or four ribs, then strakes.

What's the mold's purpose?

posted to rec.boats.building

Sometimes called stringers or longerons etc., etc. these laths connect
the bow plate, the stern plate, the ribs/frames and fix to the bent
frames if fitted.

Brian W