Default I need a good line...

Not to meet people - but to redo the running rigging on our boat.

Unfortunately, and I apologize for replowing ground seen already, I've
misplaced or lost the file I started when people were kind enough to
refer me to various sources for running rigging, shortly after our
wreck..

The storm pretty well flayed all our running rigging, and I'm looking
to replace it all. We're going sailing (back in the water, all
systems go, but still a pretty long to-do list before leaving
permanently) tomorrow with what we have - but, as above.

Chiefly 9/16 and 7/16 lines, except for the furler and topping lift,
I'm thinking along the lines of stay-set or stay-setX, endura or the
like. We're just cruisers, so "state of the art" isn't critical, but
I'd like something which doesn't stretch much, and has good abrasion
and UV resistance.

I've got a Port Supply account, but their prices aren't any better,
usually, than can be found with a bit of looking. If you were re-
rigging your boat, who'd you use (or suggest based on observation of
someone else getting good service and pricing)?

Secondly, we're going to replace our jack line. We're of confused
mind, as we've got a vinyl coated line similar to a stanchion-based
lifeline currently. It's held up for many years - but like stanchion
lifelines, you can't see if it's rusting - and the coating has cracked
in some places, showing rust, so that's the presumption.

Leaving it on deck without a cover, a stainless wire would rust for
sure, staining the deck. OTOH, leaving a webbing jackline there risks
UV degradation. As we don't expect to sit in any one place very long,
bringing it in when we throw out the hook, and resetting it usually
won't work - so we expect it will be a permanent fixture on deck.

I've heard of some of the newer exotic running rigging lines being
used for jack lines - and even standing rigging (that's not an
interest point for us, just a data point WRT strength).. If there's
no stretch (long deck = lots of stretch potential), and they're
designed for long exposure, perhaps that's a better way to go.

Who's done any of the three, and why did you choose that?

Thanks.

L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
Follow us at http://groups.google.com/group/flyingpiglog and/or

There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in its
hands.

You seek problems because you need their gifts.

"Skip Gundlach" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Sta-SetX is pretty much the standard for running rigging on cruising boats,
in my opinion. Can't go wrong with it and it's reasonably priced. I use it
for my halyards, and used to use it for all running rigging. Lately I've
been doing some experimenting, though. For sheets, I prefer the better grip
that I get with 3-strand, 3/8" minimum for comfort. My reefing lines are all
in some super-high-tech spectra of one type or another that I got for a
great price last year. No stretch, set 'em and forget 'em. I could save a
bit of weight and windage aloft by changing my halyards to the spectra in a
smaller size, and I might do that when they need replacing. The line has a
dacron (I think) cover to protect against UV damage.

My jacklines are flat webbing made for that purpose. I'm changing my
lifelines to a spectra-type line which can be cut with a sharp knife if I
have to do that, with a cover to protect the line.

On May 26, 11:42 pm, "KLC Lewis" wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Karen,

Do you have product numbers and source for the jacklines?

3-strand line for sheet? Ditto on that, please...

L8R

Skip, looking at a perfect sailing day tomorrow

[...]

Skip,

The jacklines I bought from BoatUS/WestMarine, premade in 30 foot length,
available in other lengths. I didn't notice at first that you want to leave
them set at all times -- I don't know how long these will last in
"permanently deployed" conditions. Don't have a product number, but I'm sure
they're searchable.

The 3-strand I use is black Yale/New England Ropes or whatever other brand
is available. In 3/8" the safe working load is orders of magnitude higher
than will be experienced on my boat, but for ease of handling I step up one
size for mainsheet and genoa sheets, keeping the 3/8ths for mizzen and light
air sails. Black because I color-code my lines by purpose, if it's black
it's a sheet.

Don Don is offline

On May 27, 7:20 am, "KLC Lewis" wrote:
[...]

You might try this site "http://www.cajuntrading.ca/
polyester_lines.htm" I am re-rigging a Tayana-37 and they quoted
around $1200.

Don

On 2007-05-26 22:02:26 -0400, Skip Gundlach said:

Leaving it on deck without a cover, a stainless wire would rust for
sure, staining the deck.

Disagreement on this. Stainless without a cover is pretty much
stainless. Only when you cover it does it become non-stainless.

That said, I'd use a flat strap for jacklines rather than any round
material that can roll under foot and trip us up.

I personally would prefer that be of nylon or some other "stretchy"
material, but a case can be made for the jacklines to be very low
stretch, depending on the stretchiness of the harness lines to prevent
sudden shock loads on my body.

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD

Hey - a little help.. JLH General 2 January 30th 07 03:15 PM
One for Nik (not Irish) Des Higgins ASA 55 September 29th 03 01:40 PM
Scout, Bertie's sock? Bertie the Bunyip ASA 5 September 27th 03 04:38 PM
The Lay of Völund Bertie the Bunyip ASA 0 September 25th 03 02:19 AM