posted to rec.boats.building
Mik Mik is offline

Default Z Spar 2015

Here's a varnish question.

I've built a stich n glue kayak, and I am just starting to varnish it.
How many coats are needed for UV protection, v.s. how many are needed
for general wear and tear?

Basically, I don't want to varnish the areas that don't need much
varnish, as this stuff isn't cheap, and extra weight is an issue.

Mike

Mik wrote:
Here's a varnish question.

I've built a stich n glue kayak, and I am just starting to varnish it.
How many coats are needed for UV protection, v.s. how many are needed
for general wear and tear?

Most people apply 4-6 coats in order to achieve the finish they want and
adequate UV protection.

Basically, I don't want to varnish the areas that don't need much
varnish, as this stuff isn't cheap, and extra weight is an issue.

A coat of varnish weighs next to nothing if you apply it as thin as you
should. Considering that inadequate UV protection will result in the
underlying epoxy being degraded, a varnish finish is not the place to
save weight. If you really feel you need to save a few ounces, paint the
boat instead, as it provides better protection with fewer coats.