posted to rec.boats.building

Default materials to replace the wood floor in an aluminum boat

Hello all,
Can anyone provide me with some ideas on different materials to
replace the plywood floor in my Lund Rebel Special(aluminum fishing
boat that came with a factory installed floor, 1990s)? I'd like to
replace it with some polyethylene or other composite/plastic type
material, or make some marine plywood as rot-proof as possible. Any
advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks

posted to rec.boats.building

"kargo" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello all,
Can anyone provide me with some ideas on different materials to
replace the plywood floor in my Lund Rebel Special(aluminum fishing
boat that came with a factory installed floor, 1990s)? I'd like to
replace it with some polyethylene or other composite/plastic type
material, or make some marine plywood as rot-proof as possible. Any
advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Paint it with Epoxy resin if its covered with carpet. Thats about as water
resistant as you can get. If its exposed to the sun the epoxy will degrade.

--
Bob La Londe
Fishing Arizona & The Colorado River

On Apr 16, 10:21 pm, "Bob La Londe" wrote:
"kargo" wrote in message

oups.com...

Hello all,
Can anyone provide me with some ideas on different materials to
replace the plywood floor in my Lund Rebel Special(aluminum fishing
boat that came with a factory installed floor, 1990s)? I'd like to
replace it with some polyethylene or other composite/plastic type
material, or make some marine plywood as rot-proof as possible. Any
advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Paint it with Epoxy resin if its covered with carpet. Thats about as water
resistant as you can get. If its exposed to the sun the epoxy will degrade.

--
Bob La Londe
Fishing Arizona & The Colorado River
Fishing Forums & Contestshttp://www.YumaBassMan.com

Thanks!
Any type of Epoxy resin? How many coats? I'll definately cover it
with carpet or vinyl or something.

posted to rec.boats.building

Hello all,
Can anyone provide me with some ideas on different materials to
replace the plywood floor in my Lund Rebel Special(aluminum fishing
boat that came with a factory installed floor, 1990s)?

Maybe take a look at:
http://www.boatdesign.net/wiki/Mater... ETERIORATION

which has some information on preserving and protecting wood.

Pressure-treated plywood CAN be used IF it's properly redried.. See
the references.

Epoxy coating is best. You have to keep the UV off it. I'd paint and
then carpet it....

Maybe take a look at:http://www.boatdesign.net/wiki/Mater...#PRESERVING_WO...

which has some information on preserving and protecting wood.

Pressure-treated plywood CAN be used IF it's properly redried.. See
the references.

Epoxy coating is best. You have to keep the UV off it. I'd paint and
then carpet it....

Thanks for the info. guys!

On Apr 18, 9:53 pm, kargo wrote:
On Apr 18, 3:38 am, " wrote:

Hello all,
Can anyone provide me with some ideas on different materials to
replace the plywood floor in my Lund Rebel Special(aluminum fishing
boat that came with a factory installed floor, 1990s)?

Maybe take a look at:http://www.boatdesign.net/wiki/Mater...#PRESERVING_WO...

which has some information on preserving and protecting wood.

Pressure-treated plywood CAN be used IF it's properly redried.. See
the references.

Epoxy coating is best. You have to keep the UV off it. I'd paint and
then carpet it....

Thanks for the info. guys!

Hey Terry, GREAT web page! Thanks for a place to start from.

Carribean Sail Don White General 16 November 18th 05 01:23 AM
Dictionary of Paddling Terms :-) Mike McCrea General 3 June 30th 04 11:52 PM