posted to rec.boats.building

Default Looking for a canoe design

I am looking for a home built canoe design that is about 16' -17'
long. I do NOT want one of those "works of art" beautiful woodgrained
boats that you would be afraid to bang around on things. My boats get
hauled over oyster shells, banged on cypress knees, rammed into things
and generally abused. SO, I will paint it and probably expect to
repaint every two years or so. It should be a lake canoe for flat
water. I really like the old family 18' Grumman aluminum canoe but I
always have to go get it from whichever of my sisters currently has
it. So, something as indestructible would be nice. Suggestions?

On Apr 15, 12:58 pm, Lew Hodgett wrote:
wrote:
I am looking for a home built canoe design that is about 16' -17'
long. I do NOT want one of those "works of art" beautiful woodgrained
boats that you would be afraid to bang around on things. My boats get
hauled over oyster shells, banged on cypress knees, rammed into things
and generally abused. SO, I will paint it and probably expect to
repaint every two years or so. It should be a lake canoe for flat
water. I really like the old family 18' Grumman aluminum canoe but I
always have to go get it from whichever of my sisters currently has
it. So, something as indestructible would be nice. Suggestions?

Buy another aluminum canoe.

Lew

No, building is fun.

posted to rec.boats.building

Of the wooden canoe construction methods, it's hard to top cedar strip
composite for ruggedness. If it's to be painted and I could tolerate a
weight of 60 lbs. or a bit more, Beef up the glass on the outside of the
bottom to 10 or 12 oz. and paint it.

oups.com...
wrote:
I am looking for a home built canoe design that is about 16' -17'
long. I do NOT want one of those "works of art" beautiful woodgrained
boats that you would be afraid to bang around on things. My boats get
hauled over oyster shells, banged on cypress knees, rammed into things
and generally abused. SO, I will paint it and probably expect to
repaint every two years or so. It should be a lake canoe for flat
water. I really like the old family 18' Grumman aluminum canoe but I
always have to go get it from whichever of my sisters currently has
it. So, something as indestructible would be nice. Suggestions?

Buy another aluminum canoe.

Lew

No, building is fun.

posted to rec.boats.building
Mik Mik is offline

I concur. Cedarstrip with fibreglass is tough as heck. And, if you are
painting it, you can save a lot of time by using staples during the
glue-up phase.

I have a Freedom 17, and strongly recommend it to anyone. Tracks well,
handles big swells beautifully. My advice is to build it using the
staple method, fibreglass it, and then finally, paint it when you
finally get the hull really beat up (in a number of years)

Stick with the 6oz cloth, but you could put a 2" strip down the keel
line for extra strength and durability.

Mike

Jim Conlin wrote:
Of the wooden canoe construction methods, it's hard to top cedar strip
composite for ruggedness. If it's to be painted and I could tolerate a
weight of 60 lbs. or a bit more, Beef up the glass on the outside of the
bottom to 10 or 12 oz. and paint it.

oups.com...

Jim Conlin wrote:
Of the wooden canoe construction methods, it's hard to top cedar strip
composite for ruggedness. If it's to be painted and I could tolerate a
weight of 60 lbs. or a bit more, Beef up the glass on the outside of the
bottom to 10 or 12 oz. and paint it.

roups.com...

wrote:

I am looking for a home built canoe design that is about 16' -17'
long. I do NOT want one of those "works of art" beautiful woodgrained
boats that you would be afraid to bang around on things. My boats get
hauled over oyster shells, banged on cypress knees, rammed into things
and generally abused. SO, I will paint it and probably expect to
repaint every two years or so. It should be a lake canoe for flat
water. I really like the old family 18' Grumman aluminum canoe but I
always have to go get it from whichever of my sisters currently has
it. So, something as indestructible would be nice. Suggestions?

Buy another aluminum canoe.

Lew

No, building is fun.

Via another thread, I found Clarkcraft and the Hartley 16 kayak. Now
I have never liked kayaks due to always having my legs scrunched up
under the deck so this looks like a good one cuz it has a more open
cockpit. Thoughts?

posted to rec.boats.building

I saw a neat canoe made from a couple of pieces of plywood. Flat
bottomed. That could be upscaled to what you want. It was stitch and
clue. Looked like Sh***, but for rugged and cheap and easy it would
work fine.

posted to rec.boats.building

If you want outrigger for stability and even a sail you could look
he http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/garyd/

The T2 and the Wa'Apa are both made from plywood and painted. You
don't have to build allt he sail rigs and stuff if you just want to
paddle them.