posted to rec.boats.building

Default grp

can any one give any advice on filling holes in grp under water line a screw
came through bottom of boat my fault in engine bay

posted to rec.boats.building

beach the boat,wait for tide to run out, to do repair, fibreglass inside,
plastic padding outside

"colinmoore" wrote in message
can any one give any advice on filling holes in grp under water line a
screw came through bottom of boat my fault in engine bay

posted to rec.boats.building

This is a job for epoxy. It is not a great "first job". Suggest having
the help of a knowlegable person. Cheer up, it's only a hole in the boat.
Seriously, this is an easy repair; please please please use epoxy, anything
else is not a good choice.
Dave

Dave W wrote:
This is a job for epoxy. It is not a great "first job". Suggest having
the help of a knowlegable person. Cheer up, it's only a hole in the boat.
Seriously, this is an easy repair; please please please use epoxy, anything
else is not a good choice.
Dave
"colinmoore" wrote in message
can any one give any advice on filling holes in grp under water line a
screw came through bottom of boat my fault in engine bay

To add to this, if the hole is small in diameter, fill the hole with
epoxy that's been thickened with glass microfiber and/or fumed silica.
Plain epoxy isn't as strong and it will tend to run out of the hole. A
fiberglass patch over the hole on the inside is a good idea, too.
posted to rec.boats.building

Another suggestion-
Flare the hole on both sides with a countersink.
It provide a clean surface to adhere to and mechanical keying of the plug,
too.