posted to rec.boats.building

Default Thru Bolt

Hi,

I am adding new frames to my boat and plan to thru fasten.

The boat is a 1942 Wheeler that had original oak frames (rotted out)
and 1 5/8" cedar carvel planking.

In the mid 1980's the hull...both above and below waterline was
planked and fastened with 1/2" plywood and then fiberglassed. They
did a good job as soundings show no release of glass.

I have added many new 4 x 8 sawed frames and have attached from the
inside while floating at the dock. At haul-out I plan to drill and
add 1/2" bolts to fasten new frames to existing hull.

My question---- Can I simply epoxy the heads in with epoxy, hardener
and cabosil mixture (peanut butter mix) ?

---- or -----

Do I need to take the time to grind areas at each bolt so as to add
new glass cloth? I have been thinking about small circular areas of
5" approx. (dish shaped)

I have two concerns. The first is not very important...small
leaks....the second concern is much larger...penetrating the
fiberglass and causing spider line cracks or future failure points for
the glass to let go.

Thanks for help and of course if there are other options or
ideas...please share.

Marshall

How to Drill Out a Broken Bolt? [email protected] General 83 October 29th 06 04:56 PM
removing a bolt (from an old evinrude) [email protected] General 3 September 25th 06 01:41 AM
PB Blaster Gogarty Cruising 8 September 7th 05 03:13 AM
4 bold vs 2 Bolt block bob General 4 August 16th 04 02:56 PM
keel bolt broken 75 hunter James O'Brien Boat Building 1 July 7th 04 02:54 AM