Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Red Red is offline

Default Refinishing teak trim

Need some info from some wood finishing experts. I am refinishing a few
pieces of teak trim that had been finished with *something*, and
unfortunately I cannot get Pearson Composites to give me any clues as
what it really was. They first told me that it was Sherwin Williams
varnish, but that company could find nothing in their inventory that
matched Pearson's description, and their marine division makes only
paint for big/military ships. After a lot of back and forth, Pearson
told me that a good substitute would be Interlux #60 varnish. Turns out
that #60 is something called "polyurethane varnish". That name of course
is nonsense, it is just poly that resembles varnish. So now after doing
a little research I find out #60 used to be regular varnish up until 2
or 3 years ago. So did Pearson use varnish, or poly? The final piece of
info dragged out of them is that all the finishes they use are *indoor*
only, and these pieces of wood are exposed to the sun (they run around
the companionway) and got all ratty.
Since they won't fess up and I still need to refinsh, what would be
some recommendations? I need to match as best I can the rest of the
interior, and yet it needs better protection from exposure. Can straight
spar-type varnish be used on wood previously poly'd but sanded? Can you
varnish over a few new coats of poly? And if anyone knows, what finishes
might meet my needs AND be a close color match with Interlux 60, and
hold up well like a good UV varnish? Of course, relative ease of future
upkeep and refinishing is important which is why I would 'prefer'
varnish vs. poly if possible - poly is a PITA to remove adequately for
refinishing.

Thanks,

Red

Staining teak trim before varnishing? Wayne.B General 15 December 6th 06 05:01 PM
Staining teak trim before varnishing? Wayne.B Boat Building 15 December 6th 06 05:01 PM
Staining teak trim before varnishing? Wayne.B Cruising 17 December 6th 06 05:01 PM
Trim Woes [email protected] General 2 July 2nd 06 09:20 PM
Refinishing interior teak decks Keith Boat Building 0 April 5th 04 02:01 PM