posted to rec.boats.building

Default LED, light bulb question

I have a sailboat, with 12v electrical. In the v berth area, there is still
two fixtures with bulbs, like what you would have in your house.

Is it possible to buy an LED replacement bulb for that fixture. That is;
the LED would need to be screwed into the fixture like a conventional bulb
is.

posted to rec.boats.building

Yes, there are direct replacements available.

See, for example: http://www.ledtronics.com/markets/25mm_med_index.htm

"What you have in your house" is an 'Edison Screw Base', though be
sure to think about where your fixture was made; if it's a European
import it may have 'European Screw Base', which is slightly longer.

MW

posted to rec.boats.building
MMC MMC is offline

wrote in message
ups.com...
Yes, there are direct replacements available.

See, for example: http://www.ledtronics.com/markets/25mm_med_index.htm

"What you have in your house" is an 'Edison Screw Base', though be
sure to think about where your fixture was made; if it's a European
import it may have 'European Screw Base', which is slightly longer.

MW

WOW!
I checked the site and thinking "well, since I'd need to replace standard
looking blubs, and want 3d light and liking light I can read by, I'll check
the middle option, a G-25". So I checked that bulb.
After picking myself off the floor, I did some quick math: $178 (yep, US
dollars- EACH) times 9 required for my boat, I've decided I'll live with my
current conservation plan and toss the $1602 (yep, US dollars), in the
cruising kitty.
Whew! another tough decision!
Thanks for the link Mike.
MMC

posted to rec.boats.building

MMC wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Here's another option. Currently most compact fluorescent lamps are more
efficient than most LED lamps. And compact fluorescents are available
with electronic ballasts that work directly from 12 volt sources. They
typically run a couple bucks apiece.

BS
posted to rec.boats.building

MMC:

The OP asked about standard Edison Screw Base replacements for a 12VDC
system. The 'G25' LED cluster that you're having trouble with is a
120 VAC device described as a 'Traffic LED' that is recommended for
"Toll Booths, Receiving Docks & Beacon Warning Light(s)." Why would
you use this as a 'reading light'?

There are many examples of both 12 VDC ad 120 VAC LED clusters with
screw bases at the LEDtronics site in the $25 - $55 range. Still high
compared to standard incandescent bulbs, I agree. But given 10,000 -
100,000 hours (claimed) operation, coupled with very low power
consumption, a couple of them in the OP's V-Berth may be both
practical and affordable.

MW

posted to rec.boats.building
MMC MMC is offline

Ah, much clearer now Mike. Maybe I could get just one G25 and work on my tan
while I read?
Thanks for "enlightening" me!
MMC
oups.com...