posted to rec.boats.building

Default Dents in hull-repair?

I have a 24 foot sailboat that was improperly placed on its cradle. The
weigh was placed in an unsupported portion of the hull and has resulted in
what looks like a dented can. The boat sat in this position for many years.
The dents have remained even with completely shifting the boat in the
cradle. I can get to the hull from behind / inside. What is the best way to
repair this?

John

posted to rec.boats.building

John,
The creep (cold flow) that is a constant threat to almost all plastic is
a very temperature sensitive issue. If you can wait until the weather
warms the hull, it may well recover on its own. Or, you can heat it
locally with a jet heater and pull it with one of those suction holders,
but just letting it sit in the warm is the easiest thing to do - those
that I have seen usually come back.
Matt Colie
Lifelong Waterman, Licensed Mariner and Pathological Sailor

--
target of diversity
victim of affirmative action

posted to rec.boats.building

John,

If you can get behind it and push it will help, almost anything will help.
Heat (gentle) helps most.

An acquaintance some years ago brought a thin glass canoe back to shape
by filling it with hot water.

The great joke came when he wanted to grab one gunwhale and heave it up
to get the water out. (Hint: a canoe full of water is about 1500#)

Interest on my part - What is the boat?

Matt Colie

John Cassara wrote:
I have a 24 foot sailboat that was improperly placed on its cradle. The
weigh was placed in an unsupported portion of the hull and has resulted
in what looks like a dented can. The boat sat in this position for many
years. The dents have remained even with completely shifting the boat in
the cradle. I can get to the hull from behind / inside. What is the best
way to repair this?

John

--
target of diversity
victim of affirmative action
refugee from the war on poverty
minimized by political correctness

--
target of diversity
victim of affirmative action
refugee from the war on poverty
minimized by political correctness
posted to rec.boats.building

http://www.geocities.com/pesceuomo/index.html

Thanks Matt the boat is a C&C 24 check out the pics.

I intend to block a small hydraulic jack inside and warm the outside with a
heater and jack some gentile pressure to shift it into shape.

John

news

John Cassara wrote:

Thanks Matt the boat is a C&C 24 check out the pics.

I intend to block a small hydraulic jack inside and warm the

outside with a
heater and jack some gentile pressure to shift it into shape.

Use the sun to your advantage.

Put the boat where it will receive the afternoon sun and take your time.

Inch by inch, row by row, watch my garden grow, and my hull pop back
into shape.

Have fun.

Lew
posted to rec.boats.building

John,
Looks like you have a good project there. At least you have a hull that
is worth the effort.

The Dents that show in the pictures are not real bad, I have seen worse
just come out on their own. Heat and pushing will help.

Take care around those cracks in the deck by the chainplate. They could
have let water get into the plywood under the deck. A soft face hammer
will tell you just how much trouble you are in (from a guy that carries
a 500$ moisture meter and a 10$ hammer).

I'm here a lot, so, if you have other questions I might just have more
answers.

Matt Colie

Old Town Discovery Scout dent/bubble repair Mike Lambert General 5 October 17th 06 03:12 PM
Hull Design & Displacement Hulls winder General 0 December 28th 04 11:00 AM
transom repair K. Smith General 0 August 7th 04 02:01 AM
Repair hogging in kevlar hull? Jeff Potter General 9 July 29th 04 02:47 PM
The future of yacht design - 10 myths scotched Frank ASA 0 June 28th 04 02:42 PM