posted to rec.boats.building

Default Good first project

Newbie w/ light woodworking skill and equipment looking for good first
project. Want a light weight boat 11 - 14 feet capacity up to two
adults. Reply also to email at as I do not ovten
monitor groups.

thank you for the help.

Kirk P

On Mar 4, 9:41 pm, wrote:
Newbie w/ light woodworking skill and equipment looking for good first
project. Want a light weight boat 11 - 14 feet capacity up to two
adults. Reply also to email at as I do not ovten
monitor groups.

thank you for the help.

Kirk P

Stevenson Projects MiniCup sailboat.

posted to rec.boats.building

"Frogwatch" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 4, 9:41 pm, wrote:
Newbie w/ light woodworking skill and equipment looking for good first
project. Want a light weight boat 11 - 14 feet capacity up to two
adults. Reply also to email at as I do not ovten
monitor groups.

thank you for the help.

Kirk P

Stevenson Projects MiniCup sailboat.

Actually the MiniCup would be a pretty tight fit for two adults. It was a
tight squeeze for myself and my son who was 10 at the time. The Stevensons
have some other designs that might work though - http://www.stevproj.com

Andrew B

On Mar 5, 8:02 am, Brian Nystrom wrote:
wrote:
Newbie w/ light woodworking skill and equipment looking for good first
project. Want a light weight boat 11 - 14 feet capacity up to two
adults. Reply also to email at as I do not ovten
monitor groups.

thank you for the help.

Kirk P

How about a canoe? There are lots of canoe kits and plans on the market.

Stevenson Projects "Plyflyer". I almost built one but got sidetracked
into building a Tolman Skiff.

posted to rec.boats.building

A plywood flat bottom skiff is an easy hull to build. Once the hull
(bottom, two sides, transom) is built you get to learn how to put in
seats, sail, or whatever else you want to learn to do. An Internet
search on "skiff" will bring up plenty of plans as will a look at
www.boat-links.com. The free plan at www.simplicityboats.com uses 2
sheets of plywood most efficiency. There is a BASIC program on an old
website of mine that will calculate numbers for different sized of
skiff ( www.ncf.ca/~ag384/Boats.htm ). Look at my Dogskiff to see how
to install a small offset daggerboard slot for sailing.

If you want more of a challenge in a hull you can try wood strip or
lapped strake (aka lapstrake, clinker) construction, or a mulitple
chined plywood hull.

Have fund.
Try not to get addicted.