Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
posted to rec.boats.building

Default bilge pump as propulsion

ok, Ive heard this idea brought up before and seen it poo poo'd, but can it
work to some extent?

Ive got a 14' cat that i store next to the beach in sydney harbour and i
like to get out for a sail when i can. Unlike most cats this size, it has
heaps of flotation - 3-4 adults and still not sinking anywhere near as much
as a hobie 14 with 2 POB. It has an outboard bracket on the back which was
on it from the factory, but i've destroyed 2 admittedly cheap and nasty
second hand outboards on it so far. I have a new honda 2hp 4 stroke on my
dinghy that i dont want to put on the cat because it would probably suffer a
similar fate.

What happens is that because your moving so fast, the outboard gets
completely drowned, as do the people sailing for that matter ;-) an
outboard might work on a lake or something, but sydney harbour gets choppy.
The thing is, this boat was designed for island hopping the whitsundays and
the manufacturer claims enough flotation for 4 people, plus camping gear, a
stove, and food and water for a week! I cant see how they get the outboard
to survive...

i do ok if i get the outboard started and there are no waves and i just
motor round on it. a 2 or 3 is plenty to move along. its rated for a 5 at
maximum. the trouble is, as soon as you sail if there's a bit of chop, that
motor is getting a drink - then you'll never get it started. I want a bit
of propulsion for getting into some of the finnicky bay areas rather than
spending a couple of hours tacking to death, 5 minutes of propulsion would
get me there. propulsion would also be nice for getting back in if the wind
dies, and finally as a backup just in case something breaks. i like to go
out when the wind is big, and ive already had a couple of incidents with
snapping a gooseneck fitting, and destoying a couple of jib cleats.

so here's what im thinking; a 1250GPH bilge pump in each hull, intake hoses
going into the water, outlets hooked up to hoses facing rear. these draw 5A
each and are cheap to buy. A 40-50AH sealed gel cell would give me a lot
more power than i need. I cant see myself using ot for longer than about 30
minutes to an hour at a time. Is this going to move me at all? at least
more than trying to paddle the boat by myself (which gets me almost
nowhere!) would i get any benefit from using smaller diameter hoses to
create a stronget 'jet', or am i just unnecessarily loading the pump for no
real gain? am i miles off in the GPH stakes.... do i need a lot more
pumping to get any effect?

im not looking for a speed boat here, just *movement* even 1 knot would be
something. benefits to this system are that its fully submersible,
completely unobtrusive, almost silent, would cost me about $100, starts
instantly when i need it.

thanks,
Shaun

Help with bilge pump installation il_papa General 5 December 12th 06 06:40 PM
Bilge Pump Upgrade Marc Boat Building 21 March 10th 06 02:59 AM
Propane Sniffer Meltdown aroostifer Cruising 13 June 9th 05 01:58 PM
Bilge Pump Switch LaBomba182 Cruising 0 October 31st 03 04:25 PM
Bilge Pump Switch dboyd Electronics 0 October 22nd 03 03:06 AM