posted to rec.boats.building

Default teak and holly floor

Hi,

Can a few refer me to their favorite suppliers for teak and holly floor
along with costs to be expected?

Other floor ideas appreciated.

thanks,
marshall

posted to rec.boats.building
CS CS is offline

Can a few refer me to their favorite suppliers for teak and holly floor
along with costs to be expected?

Other floor ideas appreciated.

21mm thick pine tongued and grooved boards varnished.
http://www.luxe-motor-kei.co.uk/inte.../image126.html

posted to rec.boats.building

On Fri, 9 Feb 2007 20:03:51 -0500, "MarshallE"
wrote:

Hi,

Can a few refer me to their favorite suppliers for teak and holly

floor
along with costs to be expected?

Other floor ideas appreciated.

thanks,
marshall

http://www.harborsales.net/lookups.c...arine%20Panels

They ship and list prices of there products. They are located in MD
next to Delaware.

-Lee

posted to rec.boats.building

http://www.worldpanel.com/
FL, NC, MI
I've not used them though.

"MarshallE" wrote in message
Hi,

Can a few refer me to their favorite suppliers for teak and holly floor
along with costs to be expected?

Other floor ideas appreciated.

thanks,
marshall

posted to rec.boats.building

How about Bamboo? http://www.bamboo2000.com/index.htm

Also:
http://www.sjlumbermans.com/products/
http://www.teakmarine.com/
http://www.teakdeckcompany.com/
http://www.teakdecking.com/

posted to rec.boats.building

In the interst of correct terminology:
On a boat, the flat surface you walk on is a sole or cabin sole and the
timbers between the keel and the sole are floors.

"MarshallE" wrote in message
Hi,

Can a few refer me to their favorite suppliers for teak and holly floor
along with costs to be expected?

Other floor ideas appreciated.

thanks,
marshall

posted to rec.boats.building

Most teak and holly decks are not holly, but usually teak and maple.

Maple is quite fine as a holly substitute, as true (clear) holly is now
almost impossible to obtain. There are some qualities of maple used for pool
cues that are graded for their whiteness and straightness of grain if you
are seeking perfection in a holly substitute.

To lay your own teak and 'holly' deck, I would suggest that you use 1/4"
plywood to adhere your teak and maple strips onto first . The holly/maple
will be only 3/16" x 3/16" so it requires some fiddling and clamping . Build
up panel sections approximately 24 inches (+ -) by the length of your
project, with added length for trim. When these panels are completed and
the adhesive is well cured you can then lay them out in place on your sole,
trim them to fit and then adhere the panels to your existing deck using sand
bags or concrete blocks to hold the panels down until they cure.

In my opinion.....do not use epoxy on teak decks for any teak decking
thicker than 1/8".

In my opinion...Sikaflex www.sika.com and Teak Decking Systems
www.teakdecking.com adhesives are the better products available for teak
decks.

Be sure that your caulking adhesive has a UV light inhibitor.

When it comes to that 'break bond' strip in the caulking groove it has
become proven over time that it is beneficial when decking thickness is 1/4
" or greater. Most teak decking data comes from teak deck performance on
cruise ships. Cruise ships usually only last 30 years before they are
scrapped for the steel and those teak decks have offered up a wealth of
information on the performance of adhesives and bonding to teak decking over
time and adverse weather conditions.

A previous poster was concerned about whether to use a breakbond strip when
he had epoxy overflow in the caulking gap. I believe that he had 1/4" teak
decking. In that situation I would not bother with the breakbond strip as
most adhesives would break free from the smooth epoxy surface prior to
breaking free from the rougher teak surfaces.

However, it has been found that when you have a three sided bonded surface
(with potential movement) that the adhesive join is compromised. A two sided
bonded join (with potential movement) is superior.

Regarding that faux teak/holly plywood.........great for a floating
motorhome.

Ken Chaytor / Island Teak
www.island-teak.com

posted to rec.boats.building

I am making some practice runs of teak/holly sole panels using 1/4"x 1 3/4"
teak and real holly ($$$) milled 3/16 x 9/32 so the holly stands slightly
proud. Substrate is 13mm meranti. Vacuum bagging holds everything flat but
I am having a little trouble keeping the seams closed up. I have been
cutting the substrate 1" over size then laying a 3/4" strip of scrap on
either side of the teak. Once the bag is pulled down about half way I clamp
across until the scrap meets the substrate. A side advantage is that if I
apply the epoxy only to the substrate the bag squeezes out a little excess
between the strips and the clamping then brings it up the edge with minimum
excess on the surface. This works about 90% of the time but if I don't
estimate the overlap just right it can leave a slightly open seam. Any
suggestions?

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com