posted to rec.boats.building

Default History question

Sorry, this is not a boat building question, but this is probably the
group that more likely has old wooden boat buffs than any other I could
find.

I have a question about the 1887 tugboat "Rustler", located in Puget
Sound, still working as of 2001. What is her hull made of? Iron or
wood?

And if you know her, is she still afloat?

Thanks in advance for your help.

posted to rec.boats.building

Built in Hoqiam, Wa for towing log rafts I would suspect she is wood.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

wrote in message
ups.com...
Sorry, this is not a boat building question, but this is probably the
group that more likely has old wooden boat buffs than any other I could
find.

I have a question about the 1887 tugboat "Rustler", located in Puget
Sound, still working as of 2001. What is her hull made of? Iron or
wood?

And if you know her, is she still afloat?

Thanks in advance for your help.

posted to rec.boats.building
den den is offline

I have a question about the 1887 tugboat "Rustler", located in Puget
Sound, still working as of 2001. What is her hull made of? Iron or
wood?

And if you know her, is she still afloat?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Not a whole lot of info here, but they imply it is still a working
tugboat.

http://www.clcookphoto.com/2000race.htm

"Incidently, Rustler, built in 1887, is the oldest working tugboat on
Puget Sound."

I use DOGPILE Advance search, for exact phrase, and I have pretty good
luck.
Try it you'll like it. mikey likes it.

I found this about another tugboat. "built in 1887 by the John
Dialogue Co. of Camden, N.J. with a riveted iron hull " This is a
larger tug. Maybe that was the style back then?

I would email the race reporter Carl Cook and see if he could hook
you up with the owners.

or mailto: and watch the 2007 races!

Den Uniflite-yf48

Junior Member

Location: Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Sorry, this is not a boat building question, but this is probably the
group that more likely has old wooden boat buffs than any other I could
find.

I have a question about the 1887 tugboat "Rustler", located in Puget
Sound, still working as of 2001. What is her hull made of? Iron or
wood?

And if you know her, is she still afloat?

Thanks in advance for your help.
I stepped aboard her yesterday and will again today. Still afloat with a blown engine. Hull is wood.
Do you have any history on Rustler?
Attached Thumbnails
History question-rustlerverysmall.jpg

Last edited by man7sell : May 8th 10 at 01:53 PM