BoatBanter.com

-   -   King Starboard for backing plate material .. under stanchion bases question (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/77061-king-starboard-backing-plate-material-under-stanchion-bases-question.html)

Bob December 30th 06 06:24 PM

King Starboard for backing plate material .. under stanchion bases question

NE Sailboat wrote:
Dave ,, I got a couple of numbers of sheet metal shops in the Dover area. I
will give them a call. The aluminum idea seems like a plan. Light, easy to
drill, will provide strength. If I can get the metal shop to cut it to the
right size ?? They should do that, I would think.

The Al can be cut with standard wood woking tools. Use your skillsaw to
gut 1/4" plate. Pretty cool uh?

Bob

Bob December 30th 06 06:27 PM

King Starboard for backing plate material .. under stanchion bases question

Gordon wrote:

or go to WallyWorld and buy a plastic kitchen cutting board
cut and drill to size.

I thought about that untill I put my cutting board into the dish washer
on hot.
It warped. Also not UV protected. Maybe stouter materials are
availble, no?
Bob

Gordon December 30th 06 09:29 PM

Bob wrote:
Gordon wrote:

or go to WallyWorld and buy a plastic kitchen cutting board
cut and drill to size.

I thought about that untill I put my cutting board into the dish washer
on hot.
It warped. Also not UV protected. Maybe stouter materials are
availble, no?
Bob

Does your boat get as hot inside as a dishwasher? Does the sun shine
on your stantion nuts?
Do beware of the plastic being too hard to where it could snap when
tightening the nuts. Be sure and use washers to distribute the load.
Gordon

Lew Hodgett December 31st 06 02:45 AM

Gordon wrote:

or go to WallyWorld and buy a plastic kitchen cutting board
cut and drill to size.

Then there is the little issue of cold flow.

Lew

January 1st 07 11:57 PM

King Starboard for backing plate material .. under stanchion bases question

Gordon ,, your idea, and getting the cutting board at Wally ,, is great.
I'm wondering why no one else has done this?

I get my cutting board at the Dollar stores or Wal-Mart. The problem I had
with polymer cutting board is that on the long run, some of them, become dry
and are showing signs of cracking when under compression. The cost of
1/8 -3/16 thick X 3 to 5 wide SS flat bar is not all that much.
Here we have a Metal superstore. They cater to people buying small quantity
at a time.
The last time I went to the Metal superstore I purchased 1/4 thick X 4" wide
SS flat bar. I had this cut to 5" lengths.
I got out of there with 10 SS pieces ready to be drilled for less than
$15.00 CAD including taxes and cutting cost.
When I got home I rounded the corners, drilled the holes and deburred the
back up plates. At that price I do not bother with cutting board anymore.
Next time, I may use a thinner bar stock like 1/8 thick.

"Charlie Morgan" wrote in message
On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 17:21:48 GMT, "NE Sailboat"
wrote:

Gordon ,, your idea, and getting the cutting board at Wally ,, is great.
I'm wondering why no one else has done this?

Is there give to the cutting board material? Casey advised Marine Ply
because it is a very dense plywood material.

Then again .. so it cutting board.

You may have hit the big one.

I am going to cross post this to my yahoo group. See if anyone there has
used your idea.

HDPE is quite flexible compared to plywood.

CWM