posted to rec.boats.building

Default removing 1700lb engines; back yard

I need to build a contraption to remove two large, old, heavy engines.
(1968 CC 427's).

The boat is on stands and there's no way I know of to get a boom up,
over and inside the wheelhouse.

So... I'm considering building tripods on either side of the
wheelhouse... running a metal I beam thru the windows over the
engines... lifting... placing them a wooden bed... sliding the engine
back to the rear... where a small crane can lift out.

The question I have is.. what to build the tripods out of... 4x4's our
of sistered 2x4's? Something beefier...

I recall reading somewhere they weight in at 1700lbs.

many thanks.

Paul Wiggins wrote:
I need to build a contraption to remove two large, old, heavy engines.
(1968 CC 427's).

The boat is on stands and there's no way I know of to get a boom up,
over and inside the wheelhouse.

So... I'm considering building tripods on either side of the
wheelhouse... running a metal I beam thru the windows over the
engines... lifting... placing them a wooden bed... sliding the engine
back to the rear... where a small crane can lift out.

The question I have is.. what to build the tripods out of... 4x4's our
of sistered 2x4's? Something beefier...

I recall reading somewhere they weight in at 1700lbs.

many thanks.

1700 lbs seems waaaaaaay heavy for such engines. I bet you could do it
easier by simply levering them up, stacking boards underneath, finally
getting it onto a bed of boards where you can litle by little "walk" it
to clear air. Make a ramp outa 2 4X4s and use a come-along to hoist it
up and out of cabin or whereever it is.
I actually did this but it was with a much smaller diesel.

posted to rec.boats.building

This is a method that we use often at the local boatyard but we have 2
tripods made with 1 inche steel tube and a very large plate at the bottom to
spread the load on the floor. This seems very important since you don't
know if you're on solid or not with some fiberglass boat. 1700/2 = 850 lbs
on each side so a 4x4 = 3.5 x 3.5 = 12.25 = 70 PSI. This is not a big
load for a static structure but unless you are sure the local structure can
take the whole 850 lbs is something else. Better have a large plate at the
bottom to spread the load.

Be very cautious if you build from 2x4 or 4x4 because they could have some
invisible defect and the loat will be great. A 4x4 is strong enough if well
built though but you need to make the attachment accordingly to the load.

André

"Paul Wiggins" wrote in message
I need to build a contraption to remove two large, old, heavy engines.
(1968 CC 427's).

The boat is on stands and there's no way I know of to get a boom up, over
and inside the wheelhouse.

So... I'm considering building tripods on either side of the wheelhouse...
running a metal I beam thru the windows over the engines... lifting...
placing them a wooden bed... sliding the engine back to the rear... where
a small crane can lift out.

The question I have is.. what to build the tripods out of... 4x4's our of
sistered 2x4's? Something beefier...

I recall reading somewhere they weight in at 1700lbs.

many thanks.

posted to rec.boats.building

Yeah... you're dead-on... using one piece of wood is risky, metal would
be much safer; but then again... carefully picked out wood, sistered to
reduce the single point of failure issue... would be ok

The scary part is how to spread the load correctly on the floor. It's a
1959 SeaSkiff and while the wheelhouse floor (above the engines is
solid)... there is some flex in the floor in the 12'x10' rear deck. Some
temp supports underneath should help; and a 4x4 set of logs to slide a
greased sled.

thanks!
-p

André Langevin wrote:

[...]

If you are going to have to hire a crane anyway here is a suggestion that
eliminates any stress on the floors and makes removal and resetting a simple
single operation that minimizes crane time.

Have a "U" shape frame welded up of 3" square heavy wall steel tubing.
The legs of the U should be the distance from the edge of the cabin top to
the lift point of the engine plus a couple of inches and the bottom of the U
should be the length needed to clear any obstacles plus a few inches.
Reinforce the corners by welding on some gusset plates. Bolt lifting rings
to the ends of the legs. A 20' stick of 3" heavy tube will set you back
about $80 and welding another $50 or so.

When the crane arrives, have it lift the frame using one ring and maneuver
the lower leg into the boat. The upper leg will be over the cabin top. Hook
the engine to the bottom leg and lift. The weight of the engine will
balance the frame horizontally. When it gets high enough to clear any
obstacles have the crane swing back out of the cabin and lift out all in one
operation. Save the frame for use in resetting the engines.

I set my 550 lb Yanmar under the cockpit single handed using a frame welded
up from 2" tube, a rolling gantry cobbled together from a pair of old barn
door tracks bolted to a 2x8 and a chain fall.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Paul Wiggins" wrote in message
I need to build a contraption to remove two large, old, heavy engines.
(1968 CC 427's).

The boat is on stands and there's no way I know of to get a boom up, over
and inside the wheelhouse.

So... I'm considering building tripods on either side of the wheelhouse...
running a metal I beam thru the windows over the engines... lifting...
placing them a wooden bed... sliding the engine back to the rear... where
a small crane can lift out.

The question I have is.. what to build the tripods out of... 4x4's our of
sistered 2x4's? Something beefier...

I recall reading somewhere they weight in at 1700lbs.

many thanks.

posted to rec.boats.building

Glenn Ashmore wrote:

Hi Glenn,

Great suggestion!

But ****e, Are you sure the lower leg will hold the weight? I figure the
distance from the rear roof line to the center point of the engine...
is 3 - 4'. Seems like the leverage would cause... snap crackle pop.

Heavy walled... what thickness?

thanks!
-paul

[...]

Just ran a quick check with my beam calculator. If your engines really do
weigh 1700 lbs each and the length is 4' you should probably go to 3x4 .250"
wall. That will keep the bending stress safely under the 33kip yield
strength and deflection at the end about .290". Both legs and the
connecting piece will deflect so allow one inch total. 3x4" quarter wall
tube is commonly used for support columns in construction so you should be
able to find it easily.

If the engines are under 100 lb you could get by with 3" .250" wall but in
either case gusset plates on either side of the corners would be good
insurance for any welding faults.

--

Glenn Ashmore wrote:

[...]

On Wed, 01 Nov 2006 22:16:01 -0500, Paul Wiggins
wrote:

I need to build a contraption to remove two large, old, heavy engines.
(1968 CC 427's).

The boat is on stands and there's no way I know of to get a boom up,
over and inside the wheelhouse.

So... I'm considering building tripods on either side of the
wheelhouse... running a metal I beam thru the windows over the
engines... lifting... placing them a wooden bed... sliding the engine
back to the rear... where a small crane can lift out.

The question I have is.. what to build the tripods out of... 4x4's our
of sistered 2x4's? Something beefier...

I recall reading somewhere they weight in at 1700lbs.

many thanks.

w4 X 13 beam will easily take the load of one 1800 lb engine if
the beam is supported at 8 ft centers.
A tripod at each end made of three 2 by 4s will have sufficient
compression strength BUT if the legs are long they could collapse
in bending.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK
posted to rec.boats.building

Glenn has a practical suggestion as usual - but 3X3 wont do it, even
at 1/4 in thick - you need 5X5 3/16 inch wall (a standard section) if
those engines are really 1700 lb. each and you want a 5 ft cantilever
to be safe - and attention to the connecting section of the U.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK