posted to rec.boats.building

Default Where to find plans?

I've decided I need to build so I'm looking for a place to get plans
for a small (in the area of 20') sailboat. Please keep in mind I'll be
a first time builder, so a company with good customer support and clear
plans/instructions are important to me. Construction method is less of
a determinant factor, though I would like to go with a wood hull where
possible for a quieter boat.

Any hints, help or suggestions appreciated.
Marty Puckett

posted to rec.boats.building

I've been looking at the Weekender at this site:
http://www.stevproj.com/BYYCHome.html
Any others with feed back?
BC

"Martorious" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've decided I need to build so I'm looking for a place to get plans
for a small (in the area of 20') sailboat. Please keep in mind I'll be
a first time builder, so a company with good customer support and clear
plans/instructions are important to me. Construction method is less of
a determinant factor, though I would like to go with a wood hull where
possible for a quieter boat.

Any hints, help or suggestions appreciated.
Marty Puckett

posted to rec.boats.building

Marty:

Glen-L has a half dozen or more designs in the 17 - 23 foot range.
Their customer support is top-of-the-line, though the designs are
considered by some a bit 'dated.'

Have a look at http://www.glen-l.com

MW

Martorious wrote:
I've decided I need to build so I'm looking for a place to get plans
for a small (in the area of 20') sailboat. Please keep in mind I'll be
a first time builder, so a company with good customer support and clear
plans/instructions are important to me.

It's going to take long enough to build even a 20-footer that I'd
advise taking the time to find something good-looking as well as
functional. It's almost as easy to build a boat that doesn't look
'homemade', and it's a lot more rewarding. A boat built to plans from a
known designer (rather than a 'company') will also have the chance of
some resale value, and will also be easier to pass a survey and get
insured- assuming it is built to spec.
I haven't found anything in the Glen-L catalog that appeals to me or
that looks very professional, but others will disagree.

Try the WoodenBoat plans (which vary in detail a lot depending on the
designer-(Joel White's are excellent) or

http://www.gartsideboats.com/

or Bill Garden plans
http://www.mysticseaport.org/Library...pts/Garden.cfm

or Dudley Dix
http://dixdesign.com/designs.htm

or Arch Davis
http://www.by-the-sea.com/archdavisdesign/index.html
or sam Devlin
http://www.devlinboat.com/

Most good designers don't provide a whole lot of guidance on
construction methods- generally you need to hit the books (or a local,
tolerant expert) for that. However, designers also have a vested
interest in having you succeed and finish your project, since their
name is attached. Consequently, you should be able to get advice on
appropriate projects, time required, materials (sources, substitution,
etc) from working designers. Paul Gartside's website is helpful in
this respect.

A few designs in the WoodenBoat catalog have accompanying books which
help with the construction details, and some designs (Devlin, others?)
have videos available.

BTW, the cost and time required to build a boat depend more on the
displacement (weight) than the length.

Have fun!
John
sv Manali (29 foot Joel White double-ender)

posted to rec.boats.building

Thanks John et al,
I appreciate all the tips and encouragement.
Glen-L was the first site I found online, and I kinda liked the Amigo,
it was one of the few designs I looked at there that resembled what I
picture in my mind when I think of sailboats. I'll look at the other
designers (Joel White etc), I've got plenty of time to make an informed
choice. In the meantime I think it's time to expand my library and
start reading up on construction techniques....
Again thanks everyone.
Marty Puckett