posted to rec.boats.building

Default where to buy stainless steering chain?

Not sure where you can get ss roller chain, but the number 40 is the size of
the pitch in 80 ths of an inch. Number 40 has a pitch of 40/80 or 1/2 inch.
There is also heavy duty roller chain, such as #80 HD.

"ray" wrote in message
I don't know what to ask or search for. It's part of the steering
system which is a wheel/pedistal/cable arrangement. It has to be
stainless because it's a traditional boat with a compass on top of the
post. The original chain is a beautiful, precision made s.s. from
Germany but it's the wrong size. I got a steel replacement that says
"40" on it. I guess that's the pitch but now the compass doesn't work.
Any ideas what to ask for or where to look? Thanks.

posted to rec.boats.building

Oh boy!
A clear cut happy ending.
Way to go

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 23:42:50 -0700, ray wrote:

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 19:57:06 -0400, "Garland Gray II"
wrote:

Not sure where you can get ss roller chain, but the number 40 is the size of
the pitch in 80 ths of an inch. Number 40 has a pitch of 40/80 or 1/2 inch.
There is also heavy duty roller chain, such as #80 HD.

Very useful, thank you.
I bought 3' of #40 s.s. from Fishery Supply in Seattle, WA. delivered
for $50. Everyone else wanted to bilk me for a 10' minimum and charge
$22.50 per foot.
The boat steers, the compass points north and another ten minute job
is done. Thanks all.

. ..