posted to rec.boats.building
Jay Jay is offline

Default Extended Cosine Wherry Question

I asked this group before about extending a cosine wherry and got some
good responses. But I don't remember any comments regarding the beam
on it. I think I finally decided (but am still not 100% sure) that I
would like to make it 16' 3" instead of the original 14' design. With
the additional 2 feet plus should I also consider increasing the beam
proportionately?

Thanks,

Jay
posted to rec.boats.building

What do you need the boat to do?
- carry X lbs. of people and stuff
- be stable enough to tolerate a hyperactive lab?
- be a faster rowing boat
- etc.

Stretching the boat in length only will increase the carrying capacity 16%
and improve it as a rowing boat in all but the windiest conditions.
At about 4', it's already wide enough to provide decent spread between the
rowlocks without outriggers.
If you need more than a 16% increase in displavement, i'd look at other
designs rather than widening the boat.

Regardng construction, the scantlings in the book look OK to me for a
stretch version, except that i'd make the breasthook and quarter knees of
3/4" or 1" solid stock and perhaps enlarge them a bit. Just adjust the
spacing between the station molds. If that pushes the spacing past about
18", 1/4" strips might be a bit wayward and you might make 'em a touch
(1/32") thicker.

"Jay" wrote in message
I asked this group before about extending a cosine wherry and got some
good responses. But I don't remember any comments regarding the beam
on it. I think I finally decided (but am still not 100% sure) that I
would like to make it 16' 3" instead of the original 14' design. With
the additional 2 feet plus should I also consider increasing the beam
proportionately?

Thanks,

Jay

posted to rec.boats.building

The Cosine was also designed as an 18 footer

Brian

posted to rec.boats.building
Jay Jay is offline

Jim,

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 12:34:12 -0400, "Jim Conlin"
wrote:

What do you need the boat to do?
- carry X lbs. of people and stuff

Yes. An additional passenger and muskie fishing gear. Possibly a small
outboard or electric motor and battery too.

- be stable enough to tolerate a hyperactive lab?

Stable enough to tolerate my fat ass moving around trying to net said
muskies.

- be a faster rowing boat

Not necessarily faster, but it can't hurt.

- etc.

Stretching the boat in length only will increase the carrying capacity 16%
and improve it as a rowing boat in all but the windiest conditions.
At about 4', it's already wide enough to provide decent spread between the
rowlocks without outriggers.
If you need more than a 16% increase in displavement, i'd look at other
designs rather than widening the boat.

Regardng construction, the scantlings in the book look OK to me for a
stretch version, except that i'd make the breasthook and quarter knees of
3/4" or 1" solid stock and perhaps enlarge them a bit. Just adjust the
spacing between the station molds. If that pushes the spacing past about
18", 1/4" strips might be a bit wayward and you might make 'em a touch
(1/32") thicker.

IIRC 18" is the max spacing other than between the last station and
the transom but I don't have my drawing handy here at work.

Jay

"Jay" wrote in message
.. .
I asked this group before about extending a cosine wherry and got some
good responses. But I don't remember any comments regarding the beam
on it. I think I finally decided (but am still not 100% sure) that I
would like to make it 16' 3" instead of the original 14' design. With
the additional 2 feet plus should I also consider increasing the beam
proportionately?

Thanks,

Jay

posted to rec.boats.building
Jay Jay is offline

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 19:20:19 -0700, "Brian"
wrote:

The Cosine was also designed as an 18 footer

Brian

I only have the original book and pattern. Is the 18 footer design
available? Does it have a wider beam?

Jay

posted to rec.boats.building

I have not looked the plans for a long time but I don't believe it was much
wider than the 14. I believe that Flounder Bay Lumber while it changed
ownership might be able to help you get those answers. The guy who designed
the boat is from Edmonds WA also.

Brian