posted to rec.boats.building

Default Birch Multi-layerr plywood versus Marine Plywood

Does anyone know if cheaper birch plywood with 8 layerrs would be usable as
Marine plywood?

$50 per sheet versus paying approxiamately $100 a sheet.

Ed

posted to rec.boats.building

If you mean "Baltic" "Finnish" or Russian birch much of it is intended for
furniture and interior cabinet work so it is not made with waterproof glues.
It is super strong but much harder to bend and comes in 50"x50" sheets
rather than 4'x8'.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Glenn Ashmore wrote:
If you mean "Baltic" "Finnish" or Russian birch much of it is

intended for
furniture and interior cabinet work so it is not made with

waterproof glues.
It is super strong but much harder to bend and comes in 50"x50" sheets
rather than 4'x8'.

It's 60"x60" but whose counting, it is totally unrealistic to even
think about it for a marine application.

Lew

posted to rec.boats.building

Marine plywood is not well defined in every day life.
First, the best way to know if it is a good buy is to do a boil test. Do a
little googling and find out the British Mil specifications.
Normally a good plywood for marine use has no void and can withstand the
boil test.
I usually boil a 2" X 3" plywood sample for about 30 to 45 minutes. Then
I let it air dry for a day. After that if the sample look good and can hold
a screw and nail I take it as good boat building quality.
Start with : http://test.wbdg.org/ccb/FEDMIL/p18066c.pdf
One has to be careful, plywood used for crating is not expensive and has
little value in boat building.

"Edward Stammer" wrote in message
Does anyone know if cheaper birch plywood with 8 layerrs would be usable
as Marine plywood?

$50 per sheet versus paying approxiamately $100 a sheet.

Ed

posted to rec.boats.building

The situation is that many suppliers are making the claim that their plywood
is of marine grade.
I do not take any chances I ask for a sample piece and give it the boiling
test.
My daughter build a 12 foot sailing dinghy using 5 ply's marine plywood at
more than $100.00 per sheet. Further to that I told her to encapsulate the
plywood pieces and the finished boat three time with epoxy and she did. Her
friend build the same boat with so call marine plywood and only epoxy the
finished boat once. Both boat have been store outside during cold Canadian
winter under snow and hot summer. It has been 12 years now my daughter's
boat look as new while her friend's boat rotten and had to be disposed five
years ago.

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
ink.net...
wrote:

Marine plywood is not well defined in every day life.

When my supplier opens up the unit imported from France, he is in the
marine plywood section of the warehouse.

Seems the French are major suppliers of marine plywood.

BTW, if you need marine plywood, don't waste your time trying to find a
substitute.

Just bend over and hope they use Vasoline.

Lew

posted to rec.boats.building
CS CS is offline

Edward Stammer wrote:
Does anyone know if cheaper birch plywood with 8 layerrs would be usable as
Marine plywood?

$50 per sheet versus paying approxiamately $100 a sheet.

Ed

I don't think so - I've had a piece ouside overwinter/summer and it has
delaminated. An adjacent piece of marine ply is still as good as new.

Just a few names... John Smith General 0 May 2nd 04 11:32 PM
Marine Plywood Suppliers in Atlanta Ian Boat Building 1 April 19th 04 08:52 PM
Essentials of a Marine Boat Alarm System Rick Curtis Electronics 19 February 23rd 04 09:42 AM
watertight coating for marine plywood deck Ken Fraser Boat Building 8 February 10th 04 04:16 PM
The same people Simple Simon ASA 28 July 23rd 03 03:20 PM