posted to rec.boats.building

Default 17YO may go into boatbuilding

Hello,
After 40 years in the airline industry I retired and started a business
restoring classic wooden boats and I love it. BUT... I am happy that I'm
not dependent on that income to support me, it does provide nice mad money
however. Pricing and collecting for your work is the most difficult part,
not the work itself. The work is very gratifying to turn a mess into
something beautiful. It is almost impossible to provide a good estimate
because you never know how much rot you'll discover when you get to diggin'
in. Some jobs I turn away because the customer does not want a complete job
done and the 1/2 done results reflect poorly on me, which is not good
advertising. I'd recommend that before you enter this field as your
vocation you search out people who are potential employers and see what they
offer. Or if you plan to be self employed, try to determine the cost of the
equipment you'll need, the cost of the space, the utilities, and the
insurance, including "baileys" insurance to protect your customer's goods
that are on your premises.

My point is... While it is a great field, before you make a major time and
money investment, try to determine what the return will be.

I'll shall be interested in your findings and decision, and shall be happy
to answer any questions that I can for you.

Don Dando

posted to rec.boats.building

Hey, Don. I'm assuming this was typed up for me... unless there's
another 17 year old considering boat building here. Thanks for your
advice. When I took the tour of the Rhode Island 2 year boatbuilding
college, they told me job placement is near 100%, and these guys from
the yacht yards actually come to the campus and 'recruit' students. I
think, right now, I'll work on getting my GED.. (yes, I goofed around
for 2 years in high school and i'm not about to spend another two years
there for a diploma)..and find one of those stereotypical teenager
unskilled jobs to hold for a while as I think about what I want to do.
Again, thanks.