BoatBanter.com

-   -   Yanmar 3GM30F Hand start problems (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/7237-yanmar-3gm30f-hand-start-problems.html)

Robert williams July 21st 04 07:17 AM

Yanmar 3GM30F Hand start problems

Hi ,

I am looking for any ideas on adding hand starting to my new Yanmar 3gm30f
.. The motor comes with fresh water cooling and the belt for the engine
coolant pump runs right in front of the hand starting shaft ....the factory
has even put a cover over the shaft......have tried Yanmar dealer ....no
help ....

Bob

Dave W July 25th 04 05:01 PM

Yanmar 3GM30F Hand start problems

Interesting situation, I had a 3GM30 with fwc and had no problem accessing
the hand start shaft. Something is obviously wrong. Have you tried asking
Mack Boring?
Dave

Andy Hall July 26th 04 02:45 PM

"Robert williams" wrote in message ...
Hi ,

I am looking for any ideas on adding hand starting to my new Yanmar 3gm30f
. The motor comes with fresh water cooling and the belt for the engine
coolant pump runs right in front of the hand starting shaft ....the factory
has even put a cover over the shaft......have tried Yanmar dealer ....no
help ....

Bob

Bob: I also have a 3gm30f. On my engine if you flex the belt out of
the way, you can insert the crank. The belt rubs the crank a bit
which is not ideal. Good luck hand cranking! I have never been able
to get mine to crank-start.

I used to have a Volvo MD-11 that I could start with the crank. It
had a much larger flywheel.

I'll buy you a beer if you can get the yanmar going.

Paul Mathews July 27th 04 04:15 PM

(Andy Hall) wrote in message . com...
"Robert williams" wrote in message ...
Hi ,

I am looking for any ideas on adding hand starting to my new Yanmar 3gm30f
. The motor comes with fresh water cooling and the belt for the engine
coolant pump runs right in front of the hand starting shaft ....the factory
has even put a cover over the shaft......have tried Yanmar dealer ....no
help ....

Bob

Bob: I also have a 3gm30f. On my engine if you flex the belt out of
the way, you can insert the crank. The belt rubs the crank a bit
which is not ideal. Good luck hand cranking! I have never been able
to get mine to crank-start.

I used to have a Volvo MD-11 that I could start with the crank. It
had a much larger flywheel.

I'll buy you a beer if you can get the yanmar going.

I'll second that. I have been able to hand start ONLY with the boat
sailing several knots and the prop engaged to assist with the process.
Of course, you get the engine turning first using decompression
lever, then flip just one cylinder on, which helps, but it would take
a gorilla to start it just with the crank. MY solution: ALWAYS have 1
battery up.
Paul Mathews