posted to rec.boats.building

Default fibreglass waterlogging

I am looking at obtaining an older 20' fibreglass Crestliner boat with
a Johnson 140 on it. It is out of the water on a trailer and where the
keel sits on the front roller it has damaged the fibreglass leaving an
indentation. I have looked at it and found water drops in that
location. There is no way this could be rain water. The seller is
claiming it has been out of the water for over a year except for the
short trip from his cottage to the marina where he put it on the
trailer. There is an hour meter on the boat which has 492 hours on it.
I don't know if this works or if it was installed when the boat was
new.

My first question is, can the fibreglass inside the gel coat become
waterlogged? Secondly, I believe there is styrofoam floation between
the hull and the floor, is it possible for this material to become
water logged if the water got past the fibreglass. If there is water in
the fibreglass, is it possible to get it out.

Secondly, there is an older Johnson 140 HP on it. The marina put a new
stator into it last year along with some other work totalling $1500.
They claim the motor is fine and will be trouble free for several
years. I have been told by others in the area to stay away from this
engine as it is known for causing trouble and not being all that
dependable.

So, my next question is what is the group's opinion of this model of
motor.

Finally, they are asking $3000. for the boat, tandem tilt trailer,
sport cover, canopy and heavy canvass winter storage cover. The marina
figures I can get it for $1800-2000. Should I take a gamble on it? It
will not be used heavily, primarily for transporting diving students to
and from their practical lessons and for their certification dives.
Speed is not a requirement as I can conduct part of the lesson enroute
to the practice site.

Thanks for the help/advice/info.

Rob

posted to rec.boats.building

"drake" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am looking at obtaining an older 20' fiberglass Crestliner boat with
a Johnson 140 on it. It is out of the water on a trailer and where the
keel sits on the front roller it has damaged the fiberglass leaving an
indentation. I have looked at it and found water drops in that
location. There is no way this could be rain water. The seller is
claiming it has been out of the water for over a year except for the
short trip from his cottage to the marina where he put it on the
trailer. There is an hour meter on the boat which has 492 hours on it.
I don't know if this works or if it was installed when the boat was
new.

My first question is, can the fiberglass inside the gel coat become
waterlogged?

Yes.

Secondly, I believe there is Styrofoam flotation between
the hull and the floor, is it possible for this material to become
water logged if the water got past the fiberglass.

Yes.

If there is water in
the fiberglass, is it possible to get it out?

Yes, but you have to consider if the finished boat is worth putting that
much effort into. You need to cut out the bad fiberglass and open up the
waterlogged areas to get them completely dried out. Make sure ALL the old
foam is removed as it can easily be replaced with two-part (pour in place)
foam. Then all the fiberglass needs to be completely sealed back up to
prevent future water intrusion.

posted to rec.boats.building

Since I will be instructing I don't want too many due to safely reasons
so 5 divers plus myself would be plenty.

A boat this size would definitely allow that many and their gear.

Rob

fibreglass waterlogging drake General 1 July 16th 06 09:34 PM
Repair to fibreglass boat Bluesky Boat Building 3 October 1st 04 03:08 AM
fibreglass repair K. Smith General 0 August 7th 04 01:49 AM
Fibreglass plug paint problem Ivan Boat Building 3 May 18th 04 01:07 PM
Transom screw holes in fibreglass for transducer Jim Thompson Boat Building 4 April 24th 04 11:55 AM